• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Encrypted off-site backup solutions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encrypted off-site backup solutions?

What off-site backup solutions do people here use? I'm looking for one with built-in encryption too.

Also, any thoughts on how secure Dropbox is, given it doesn't really encrypt/Dropbox control the keys?

Off-site or Online? Backup or storage?

Nice article here. It mentions dropbox and the like aren't backup solutions, its cloud storage. Being clear on exactly what you want should making sourcing your solution better.

http://uk.pcmag.com/backup-products-...rvices-of-2017
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 July 2017, 12:47.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I use onedrive because I get 1TB with my office365 subscription.

I then use Shadow Protect to create the backup files and it handles the encryption. I've configured SP to create lots of small files because OneDrive won't let you upload large files.

I've then configured OneDrive to point to one of my hard drives and it auto uploads the files to the cloud.

https://www.storagecraft.com/uk/products/shadowprotect

I imagine there are much more robust cloud based backup solutions but this does it for me and it's cheap this way.

Comment

Anything with built-in encryption means you are not controlling the encryption key, making it pointless.

Like others have mentioned Dropbox etc. are not backup solutions, but cloud storage - you can use backup software that can use them as target to achieve a backup solution.

Cobian is good free backup software that can encrypt the backups, where do you store the backups after that it's up to you.

My personal off-site solution is a box running FreeNAS with encrypted drives at my parent's place.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          My personal off-site solution is a box running FreeNAS with encrypted drives at my parent's place.

Similar here, except I use a 32GB encrypted USB flash drive that doesn't get under their feet. Plenty big enough for all my truly sensitive/personal stuff.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
          X