• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SOHO Virtual Machines and Networked Attached Storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOHO Virtual Machines and Networked Attached Storage

Ok, current set up is:

Mac Mini, 16GB Ram, 2.5Ghz Core i5 and 256GB SSD
    WD-4100 NAS with 4 x 2TB Drives, RAID5

I run VirtualBox on the Mac Mini, and use the local SSD for the storage, works fine but obvisouly storage is at a premium so I would like to hive this off to the NAS.

The WD has the option for iSCSI which for Windows is native but has to be added onto MacOS, will I notice a performance degradation over iSCSI as the NAS is only rated as 10/100 Ethernet? Is there a better way of doing this?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

There will be definitely performance degradation, the question is are you going to notice it. It all depends on what you are using your VMs for, but expect high latency.

A much better options are just a USB HDD attached to the MAC mini, or a dedicated server for your VMs, or a better NAS than the crappy WD with 10/100GB NIC

Comment

My advice is to grab something like a USB3 -> SATA adapter and then buy a new SSD, and just run them off that. Gonna be better than running them off a 10/100 NAS with big drives.

Comment

Scrap that, it does have Gigabit ethernet, does that still make it dicey to use rather than psychically attached drive?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Scrap that, it does have Gigabit ethernet, does that still make it dicey to use rather than psychically attached drive?
          You will need gigabit switch and decent cables to get the Gigabit connectivity (guess the mac mini also have Gigabit NIC). If the Mac mini don't have USB3 it's more than the 480Mbps of the USB2.

I have seen production ESXi and Hyper-V hosts running VMs on the back of 2-4 1Gbit NICs and iSCSI, so should be fine.

Try it and if it's too slow just go for USB3 HDD or SSD

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            You will need gigabit switch and decent cables to get the Gigabit connectivity (guess the mac mini also have Gigabit NIC). If the Mac mini don't have USB3 it's more than the 480Mbps of the USB2.

I have seen production ESXi and Hyper-V hosts running VMs on the back of 2-4 1Gbit NICs and iSCSI, so should be fine.

Try it and if it's too slow just go for USB3 HDD or SSD
            At the moment I have an Ubuntu VM running some basic pyhton scripts, which I think shouldn't be too tasking as a POC, however ultimatly I want to use it to run a Windows VM with a few programs that I can't run on my MacBook (Visio/Project) again hopefully not very I/O intensive.

Comment

Working...
            X