• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car hire in the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I used myco's 3 mifi device in new York for navigation via google maps. So long as you're not heading too far off piste that might be an option.
    This ^ for navigation. Or a sim only deal for like £25 all you can eat data in an old smartphone running google maps. Three has USA in the "feel-at-home" destinations, which is essentially no roaming charges. You should have a baggage allowance for the child seats included, so you can bring your own, if the ones you are using daily a too bulky, you can buy some cheapo throwaway seats and bring them with you. As the cost to hire them is usually higher than the cost of new ones.

Can't really comment on the car hire part, never been to the states.

Comment

When we last had the Avis car in Florida, we bought the USA maps for my daughter's TomTom device. But these days, probably better to use a data SIM and Google maps, I reckon.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        It can get quite expensive, child seats, GPS - 100 notes?
        Depending on the age of the children, it may be cheaper to buy a seat out there.

Some car rental scraping sites will offer to include one seat FoC (can't remember which one I used in the past that did, sorry) but my children only needed a booster seat. So I found out where the nearest Wallmart was to the collection point for the car, pre-ordered online for in-store collection and went there before picking the family up.

Bought 2 booster seats in Atlanta, only needed one of them so kept the other on in it's packaging and returned it in Colorado when we were on the next leg of the trip (needed to see if we needed a seat in CO as well). Cost $15 for the car seat.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          When we last had the Avis car in Florida, we bought the USA maps for my daughter's TomTom device. But these days, probably better to use a data SIM and Google maps, I reckon.
          Navmii do a free app that you download the maps to in advance so it doesn't use any data. Doesn't give live traffic (obviously) but it's a completely free sat nav solution.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Navmii do a free app that you download the maps to in advance so it doesn't use any data. Doesn't give live traffic (obviously) but it's a completely free sat nav solution.
            Thanks, useful to know. I "think" if you know what you are doing (and I don't) you might be able to do that in Google maps too, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

You really don't need a Satnav in the USA, just ask a friendly Policeman for directions (don't do this if you are not white).

Comment

This year I used rentalcars.com and they had quite a few offers for a free sat nav included in the price which I took up. Otherwise the sat navs work out expensive.

Comment

Working...
                X