• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop + docking station

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop + docking station

Guys help me out here.

Want to get a laptop for the Mrs, which I can research and get no probs. But for the first time ever I am looking to buy a docking station too, one that will allow dual screen (laptop + monitor) and a full size keyboard. This is the set-up I use at work, but there's no way I'm buying a crappy Thinkpad for home use!

All in I don't want to spend more than ~£400.

How can I be sure to pick a docking station that'll provide the above and be compatible with the laptop I choose? Are the universal docking stations the way to go?

Well you are not giving us much budget to "work" with to begin with and then dismissing one of the few available cheap options right off the bat

Most of the "native" docking stations are aimed at business class laptops and cost about £100+ themselves which leaves £300 for the laptop itself, don't think there is anything new available at that price point. So you will have to look for second hand HP Elite book for example

Your best bet is an universal docking station most decent ones that allow dual display are again £100+ but at least you can hook any sub £300 craptop to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      All in I don't want to spend more than ~£400.
      I've got this one going for £400, It does have a bit of light visible wear on it though

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Second hand Dell Latitude E64xx and docking station is within budget. Make sure it has an SSD. The E6430s is nice, it's a bit smaller and lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Well you are not giving us much budget to "work" with to begin with and then dismissing one of the few available cheap options right off the bat

Most of the "native" docking stations are aimed at business class laptops and cost about £100+ themselves which leaves £300 for the laptop itself, don't think there is anything new available at that price point. So you will have to look for second hand HP Elite book for example

Your best bet is an universal docking station most decent ones that allow dual display are again £100+ but at least you can hook any sub £300 craptop to it.
          OK £500 then!

The budget isn't so strict but come on, it's for the wife... a bit of Word/Excel and Yahoo Mail and she's done

The laptop isn't an issue. I'll pick up an i3 or i5 with 128Gb SSD and 4gb or 8Gb RAM. Job done for the Mrs.

I'm more concerned about the docking station because I haven't bought one before. But it seems that something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Displ...NQJB59QVNY6B3Y

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            OK £500 then!

The budget isn't so strict but come on, it's for the wife... a bit of Word/Excel and Yahoo Mail and she's done

The laptop isn't an issue. I'll pick up an i3 or i5 with 128Gb SSD and 4gb or 8Gb RAM. Job done for the Mrs.

I'm more concerned about the docking station because I haven't bought one before. But it seems that something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Displ...NQJB59QVNY6B3Y

So, you could have mine and still have £100 left for the docking station
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Do you actually need a docking station, or just a decent laptop stand?

I have a Roost stand, which is brilliant. Then just plug the keyboard and mouse into USB (use a hub if you don't have many ports) and I have two monitors plugged into the laptop (one HDMI, one DisplayPort - technically I could have three monitors plus the screen though).

Laptop stand is £75, USB hub you can get from Poundworld (or similar).
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Do you actually need a docking station, or just a decent laptop stand?

I have a Roost stand, which is brilliant. Then just plug the keyboard and mouse into USB (use a hub if you don't have many ports) and I have two monitors plugged into the laptop (one HDMI, one DisplayPort - technically I could have three monitors plus the screen though).

Laptop stand is £75, USB hub you can get from Poundworld (or similar).
                Might look into this - thanks.

One of things I'm keen on is to use the laptop screen and a single monitor so that I have a dual display. I'm not sure that is possible from what you're saying above?

Comment

I use one of these and fits what you are after...
                  Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                    I use one of these and fits what you are after...
                    Looks similar to the one I linked above: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Displ...NQJB59QVNY6B3Y

Except that one is a bit cheaper.

Looks like it could be the way to go - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X