• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free/cheap certifications etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free/cheap certifications etc

Any recommendations?

On the bench so got a bit of time and considering doing a few.

Obviously, the ones (Vmware, Oracle) where you have to pay for the course are off bounds. Considering Red Hat certification - not too cheap at something like £400 but you don't have to do the course first.

Got a paid subscriptuion to safari books online (which is well worth the money) so manual wise Im sorted.

Was also thinking of having a play with AWS. Is there a cheap/free way to do this? Maybe get into some devops stuff??
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Any recommendations?

On the bench so got a bit of time and considering doing a few.

Obviously, the ones (Vmware, Oracle) where you have to pay for the course are off bounds. Considering Red Hat certification - not too cheap at something like £400 but you don't have to do the course first.

Got a paid subscriptuion to safari books online (which is well worth the money) so manual wise Im sorted.

Was also thinking of having a play with AWS. Is there a cheap/free way to do this? Maybe get into some devops stuff??
    Look at Ansible and Docker they're very popular of late and great to know when need to get stuff done, Devops is gaining in popularity so if you can look to see what they're looking for in terms of skill set and build from there.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Like to see you are investing properly in your career PC
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Look at Ansible and Docker they're very popular of late and great to know when need to get stuff done, Devops is gaining in popularity so if you can look to see what they're looking for in terms of skill set and build from there.
        Yeh considering some of the DevOps stuff. Chef and Puppet also.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Like to see you are investing properly in your career PC
          £75 per week only goes so far NLUK!

(although I havent signed on yet - may well do in the next few weeks though!)

Comment

£75 per week only goes so far NLUK!

(although I havent signed on yet - may well do in the next few weeks though!)
            Indeed. You could argue that if you are being interviewed by someone in a certain knowledge area they'll be able to recognise a free certification a mile off so not all that useful. Have a look on what's on YouTube as well. You might have to dig through some dire ones but there are some good training/tutorials on there. If you watch enough of them you'll be able to at least speak the right lingo in interviews which will count for more than just waving a free cert.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Indeed. You could argue that if you are being interviewed by someone in a certain knowledge area they'll be able to recognise a free certification a mile off so not all that useful. Have a look on what's on YouTube as well. You might have to dig through some dire ones but there are some good training/tutorials on there. If you watch enough of them you'll be able to at least speak the right lingo in interviews which will count for more than just waving a free cert.
              Safari books online, as I mentioned, is brill though.

I got a special offer a few months ago. £150 I think it was per year with the same price for ever. I think the normal price is double.

The interface is a bit crap but there are tons of books and tutorials on there.

With a bit of fiddling you can run the offline app on a kindle too and download the books to there (albeit you have to read with their app).

Comment

Certs, without knowledge are worthless for a contractor. For knowledge i find https://www.pluralsight.com/ decent, they offer free trial, if JSA can't cover the sub, just keep creating new accounts for the free trial.

If you want certs without knowledge MSFT ones are piss easy and there are rather comprehensive dumps with the answers out there, last time i checked they were like £80/exam and you can do them from home.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Certs, without knowledge are worthless for a contractor. For knowledge i find https://www.pluralsight.com/ decent, they offer free trial, if JSA can't cover the sub, just keep creating new accounts for the free trial.

If you want certs without knowledge MSFT ones are piss easy and there are rather comprehensive dumps with the answers out there, last time i checked they were like £80/exam and you can do them from home.
                  Yeh know that. Got the knowledge just no certif. Agencies/clients seem to like.

Free trial is only 10 mins max 200 mins. So one course then. $30 a month thereafter.
                  Be interested to see how that compares with safari books online - loads of courses on there.

Saying that, I get it for £131+vat but Im sure thats $300 normally.....

Looks like MS are between £80 and £110 each. Not bad.

Red Hat one is something stupid like £400 last time I looked. Bit steep that.

Comment

Yeh know that. Got the knowledge just no certif. Agencies/clients seem to like.

Free trial is only 10 mins max 200 mins. So one course then. $30 a month thereafter.
                    Be interested to see how that compares with safari books online - loads of courses on there.

Saying that, I get it for £131+vat but Im sure thats $300 normally.....

Looks like MS are between £80 and £110 each. Not bad.

Red Hat one is something stupid like £400 last time I looked. Bit steep that.
                    It's a days billing. If it helps you get off the bench a day earlier it's worth it. Think about the bigger picture.

Comment

Working...
                    X