• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drawing Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing Software

I need to put in a planning application for some work I want to do to my house. For this I need to submit some scale drawings of each elevation of the property.

I'm so cack-handed, there's no way I could draw them manually, and I don't want to pay an architect £100 per hour to do it.

Does anyone know of some, preferably free, but certainly cheap, software that could help with this?

I want something with more sophistication than Paint. Something that can understand the scale and measurement requirements, and perhaps has in-built stock objects like windows and doors.

Visio you tight wad.

Get an architect so you don't stuff it up.

AYCOTBAC?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

https://www.sketchup.com/

Though by the time you learn how to use the software it might have been cheaper to get a professional in.

Comment

I can do it for you for £99/h?

Comment

Lego?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Lego?
            Thinking about that, how much would it cost to build a life-size suburban semi in Lego.

While you could, in theory, make your home as configurable as you like barring supporting blocks, the bricks required would make it cheaper to use, well, real bricks.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think you need to speak to a couple of architects and get some prices from them. I think you might be surprised how little it is. A good one will also help with other aspects and submit for you. You'll have a much better chance of getting it through as well so saving time. I've used one for 2 submissions recently and they've been surprisingly cheap and I've had to do next to nothing. They even altered the drawings and re-submitted when an issue arose. No brainer for me.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ignoring the whether you should or shouldn't argument, SketchUp is absolutely what you want. There is a learning curve, but I practiced on my old house:

And then did one of our new one to plan and manage the renovation. Very handy!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Ignoring the whether you should or shouldn't argument, SketchUp is absolutely what you want. There is a learning curve, but I practiced on my old house:

And then did one of our new one to plan and manage the renovation. Very handy!
                  I wouldn't trust that bloke in the green jacket. Prime suspect for nicking your roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    Does anyone know of some, preferably free, but certainly cheap, software that could help with this?

Comment

Working...
                    X