• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Server Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you considered going cloud?

Comment

Originally posted by newmove View Post
      Have you considered going cloud?
      Not really thanks. I'm not comfortable with that to be honest plus I'm not sure it'll do what I want. Big learning curve for me as well.

I'm probably going to go for the TS150 which is the Lenovo TS140 replacement but I'm not sure if it's officially been released in the UK. The upgrade parts I'd need don't seem to be available here yet.

Still researching.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Not really thanks. I'm not comfortable with that to be honest plus I'm not sure it'll do what I want. Big learning curve for me as well.

I'm probably going to go for the TS150 which is the Lenovo TS140 replacement but I'm not sure if it's officially been released in the UK. The upgrade parts I'd need don't seem to be available here yet.

Still researching.
        The biggest problem with cloud is that you need fibre, the ADSL broadband pathetic excuse of an upload is a deal breaker.

You can get T150 from ServerPlus - This is the one with cashback. I have used them before and satisfied with the service.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          The biggest problem with cloud is that you need fibre, the ADSL broadband pathetic excuse of an upload is a deal breaker.

You can get T150 from ServerPlus - This is the one with cashback. I have used them before and satisfied with the service.
          Thanks for the recommendation. I'm just chatting with Lenovo as the TS150 is new to the UK and some of the internal adaptor kits and memory for the spec I'd like seem to be difficult to get. I may be able to get away with generic ones though.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Dumb question but that just looks like a regular PC to me. How is it a "server"?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Dumb question but that just looks like a regular PC to me. How is it a "server"?
              I'm sure there are people more qualified to answer this than me but for starters; it's designed to be left on all the time, it's quiet, it has on board RAID and remote management software. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                I'm sure there are people more qualified to answer this than me but for starters; it's designed to be left on all the time, it's quiet, it has on board RAID and remote management software. I'm sure there's plenty more.
                Isn't the general consensus software RAID is preferable on boxes like these? In the enterprise the RAID is generally done on the SAN, but even so RAID1 or 5 on a single controller isn't that great....

Does it have a LOM/FSP? Proper busy-box on a wee card controlling the power?

I had an HP Microserver, hated it, even my son wouldn't have it, don't even know where it is now. Bought a quarter rack if IBM bit sight unseen for £200, there was an X3550 in there with 128gb, doesn't draw a huge amount, about 150w last time i had the meter on it, not as frugal as these PC's-with-knobs-on, but a good compromise for me.

In that rack there was a couple more IBM X-series more powerful but less specced, and DS3400 and EXP3400, TS3100 and an IBM (Brocade) 16 port Fibre switch all ports licenced, sweet...

There was even 16 LTO3 tapes in the TS3100 with the former owners data on.

Comment

Working...
                X