• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Analyst skills/technologies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Often the 'analyst' is guided to speaking to senior members of staff as they 'know the answers' and they are not encouraged or even allowed to speak to staff at the grass roots level.

But yes horses for courses is always the best approach.
    Agreed.

Obviously, as an experienced analyst who has worked his way up, you ignore that completely and speak to the people on the ground.

They will tell you about all the user supported "live" SQL servers (the box is in the cupboard, Mate) and all the access databases that support the real live systems, that senior management haven't got a feckin' Scooby about.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Agreed.

Obviously, as an experienced analyst who has worked his way up, you ignore that completely and speak to the people on the ground.

They will tell you about all the user supported "live" SQL servers (the box is in the cupboard, Mate) and all the access databases that support the real live systems, that senior management haven't got a feckin' Scooby about.
      Access? It will be 45 separate interconnected Excel spreadsheets created by John who left in the last lot of voluntary redundancies 3 months before you arrived.

I exaggerate slightly there but only very slightly....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Access? It will be 45 separate interconnected Excel spreadsheets created by John who left in the last lot of voluntary redundancies 3 months before you arrived.

I exaggerate slightly there but only very slightly....
        Not in IB Matey. The SQL Server in the cupboard is true, it even had a sticker on it saying "Please do not switch off - Live system"

The solution of choice often involves a multitude of Access databases, often linked together, complete with macros, then using Excel for the presentation.
        Obviously, these take a long time to run, or fail to run at all, as the users "like" to join multiple fact tables directly

The only saving grace is the regulator takes a dim view of such arrangements, thus giving me many months of paid work "converting" them to an acceptable regulatory reporting platform.

In addition it seems that, on the quiet, the users are creating plenty of other naughty things thus insuring plenty of future work to come.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

They the bodgit and scarper bob they brought in on a much cheapness rate to "fix" it has created SQL Server tables starting with numbers and spaces galore in table names because that's what they were like in Access.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            They the bodgit and scarper bob they brought in on a much cheapness rate to "fix" it has created SQL Server tables starting with numbers and spaces galore in table names because that's what they were like in Access.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'd say that the real problem lies with the analysts failing to conduct business interviews with the correct staff in that scenario.
              Even the people who know what they want often don't really know what they want. This stuff is really hard to do well.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Even the people who know what they want often don't really know what they want. This stuff is really hard to do well.
                Very true

Good analysis is a real skill and I'm not talking about what is usually trotted out.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Or don't know how to communicate the requirement properly. A fresh business analyst won't have the experience to dig behind the requirement to drag out the details.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Or don't know how to communicate the requirement properly. A fresh business analyst won't have the experience to dig behind the requirement to drag out the details.
                    You know I told you about the guy nick named at current client co.

We called him the "walking requirement" as I , amongst others, would usually rushing after him scribbling fiercely notebook in hand
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I think this is a big strength of Agile, they get the chance to say "what the hell is that? That's not what we wanted, it needs to do..." very early on rather than when you deliver it for testing

The value of being able to be hands-on with some crappy prototype is invaluable, you get requirements creep caught as part of the initial requirements.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X