• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OSX Terminal Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSX Terminal Help

Dear Lazyweb, I have a folder on OSX with about 150 other folders within, most of the other folders have a folder in it call XYZ, how would I go about deleting all XYZ folders and anything in that folder without removing anything else.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Dear Lazyweb, I have a folder on OSX with about 150 other folders within, most of the other folders have a folder in it call XYZ, how would I go about deleting all XYZ folders and anything in that folder without removing anything else.
    Should be able to do it using Spotlight to search for folders named XYZ within the root folder. Then just highlight and drag and drop to the trash.

Type XYZ into the search window in Finder, then click the little + button underneath it and modify the search terms to "Kind" "Folder".

If you are feeling brave you could use the command line via Find and RM, strongly suggest making it interactive with the -i flag on RM!

cd <folder>
    Find . -name "xyz" -exec rm -ri "{}" \;

That should find all files with the name "xyz" recursively within the top level folder and delete them asking you to confirm each deletion in turn.
    Last edited by DaveB; 2 February 2017, 09:47.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Should be able to do it using Spotlight to search for folders named XYZ within the root folder. Then just highlight and drag and drop to the trash.

Type XYZ into the search window in Finder, then click the little + button underneath it and modify the search terms to "Kind" "Folder".

If you are feeling brave you could use the command line via Find and RM, strongly suggest making it interactive with the -i flag on RM!

cd <folder>
      Find . -name "xyz" -exec rm -ri "{}" \;

That should find all files with the name "xyz" recursively within the top level folder and delete them asking you to confirm each deletion in turn.
      I think it's

find . -name "xyz" -exec rm -rf {} \;

But then I've only been working with Unix for 30 years

The above command will generate lots of errors as the xyz directories disappear under find's feet, but not to worry

Comment

I do this quiet regularly in order to remove all node_modules or .git folders:

find . -type d -name "XYZ" -exec rm -rf {} \;

You can drop this statement while being in the parent directory. I put this terminal statement into a *.sh file which allows me to execute it easily.
        David's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X