• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training / Upskilling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Best option is to suck it up and go permie.
    Going permie is my medium term goal. I'm really only contracting as I was getting overlooked for perm jobs as my CV did not have the skills/qualifications/experience in what would be considered mainstream software tools/languages/etc.

My previous job whilst rewarding and allowed me to develop a unique set of skills, did not utilise many commercial tools, languages etc. With the abundance of people with the required skillset applying for the same jobs, I wasn't even getting into a position to argue my case at an interview. I did get a couple of interviews, but got blown out of the water during the questions and at times during the practicals.

I am happy to avail of any learning activity in order to get a foot in the door at interviews. My reason for looking at online courses etc was that in my situation I had neglected my CPD for too long and it may give me the structured learning that I require at least initially. Especially as I think I'd lose focus too easily if I was just going to sit and code at home with no real end goal. Plus, if there was a qualification or certificate at the end of it, it might impress the recruiter enough to put me through to the next stage.

I'm really not sure if contracting is for me and I'm trying to make the most of the opportunities to expand my knowledge now before it is too late - i.e. when the contract ends. This should may give me the chance to get back into perm employment which I think is a better fit for me and my lifestyle.

So, hopefully that has clarified my position.

I've been looking on places like Pluralsight, Coursera, Lynda etc - but I'm not sure what the best approach is. I know there is the opportunity to take online courses from universities online, but which ones are the best and what platform to go for is up for debate. Maybe just taking some modules in my own time online would be sufficient - I don't know.

Many courses can be done for free, but for a few extra quid I can get a certificate, which might mean nothing to someone with 10+yrs experience - but for someone in my shoes might be beneficial.

Comment

Be careful getting too many gigs. Employers will look at you with an eye of suspicion. They may think you are just there for the short term to skill up and leave again. I wonder why they think that
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are looking for jobs using agencies then you are wasting your time doing certificates as they are looking for experience. You will be asked in what role you used the skill you have a certificate for.

The only way you can get the experience other than in a role is by being involved in an open source project that uses those required skills.

If you want to by-pass agencies then you are going to have to network. That way you will advertise what you are doing and your skills, and attract interested parties to you. By networking you also by-pass lots of HR tulip as you are more likely to secure an interview as you may find you have been talking to a senior manager or company owner. Do NOT say you are looking for a job unless asked and you will probably be asked.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi Ted,

I am Senior Java Developer and Trainer for Full-stack Software Engineering. As a contractor I managed to double my day rate over the past two years. Yes, it's about skills but it's also a lot about selling and positioning yourself. One principle I follow is similar to the advice: "Dress yourself for the job you want!". I do that with for instance with my CV. And when it comes to talking to recruiters.

Cheers,
          David
          Last edited by davidbieder; 20 February 2017, 12:17.
          David's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X