• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VCP worth it in years to come?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCP worth it in years to come?

All,

This can probably be answered in one or two lines... Looking at the demand rate for contracts with VCP experience, this seems to be "Flattening out" (VMware Certified Professional (VCP) Contracts, Contractor Rates for VMware Certified Professional (VCP) Qualifications)

I'm currently coming to the end of my first contract, and in my permie role any qualification would have taken an arm snap to get hold of! Is the VCP still going to be worthwhile and future proof, or am I better leaning towards different technologies? I understand a lot of companies will be sticking with VMWare for years to come, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee the contract work will stay in that area.

If I'm being a complete idiot, please feel free to let me know

Cheers!

Originally posted by BenJeffrey View Post
    All,

This can probably be answered in one or two lines... Looking at the demand rate for contracts with VCP experience, this seems to be "Flattening out" (VMware Certified Professional (VCP) Contracts, Contractor Rates for VMware Certified Professional (VCP) Qualifications)

I'm currently coming to the end of my first contract, and in my permie role any qualification would have taken an arm snap to get hold of! Is the VCP still going to be worthwhile and future proof, or am I better leaning towards different technologies? I understand a lot of companies will be sticking with VMWare for years to come, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee the contract work will stay in that area.

If I'm being a complete idiot, please feel free to let me know

Cheers!
    Unless you are doing something particularly niche with it I'd say not. Technical roles like standing up and managing VM environments are being offshored along with most of the other infrastructure management related stuff.

Currently working alongside IBM at client co. and their entire Softlayer service (essentially VM services) are run out of Mumbai and Chennai. The only UK people we deal with are sales and service management.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I let my VCP lapse, CBA re-certifying for something that I'm doing on a daily basis every couple of years. To date no one has asked me to actually produce the evidence i hold VCP. My track record and the ability to breeze through technical interview to date serves me well enough.

IMHO VCP is for permies to prove they were valuable enough / good enough brown-nosers for their employer to spend some cash on the training course + exam for them.

Same goes for my MSFT certs, since the greedy bitches made them to expire.

Comment

I beg to differ. I have kept my VCP's current and valid since 2008. My rate is substantially higher than the rates in your link, which do not reflect "whole market".

Keep them valid, but more importantly, keep your skills current. Certs with dead skills mean nowt.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
        X