• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Go for WordPress or Joomla - Joomla's more powerful but a bit more technical. Both provide similar sets of themes.
    Agree - I inherited a Joomla site and find it harder to do stuff on it than WP. So much so that I paid someone else when it required a major version update.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      Agree - I inherited a Joomla site and find it harder to do stuff on it than WP. So much so that I paid someone else when it required a major version update.
      Did several sites using Joomla back in the day and it served a purpose. WP has largely taken over the role Joomla played and with so many themes and plugins it's quick and easy to get a good looking very functional site live in a very short time.

The scope is there to edit themes using CSS or go full PHP for plugins, can't see anything to beat it at the moment unless you want to go eCommerce although it can do that too.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Did several sites using Joomla back in the day and it served a purpose. WP has largely taken over the role Joomla played and with so many themes and plugins it's quick and easy to get a good looking very functional site live in a very short time.

The scope is there to edit themes using CSS or go full PHP for plugins, can't see anything to beat it at the moment unless you want to go eCommerce although it can do that too.
        Funnily enough, I'm just about to embark on a private project to convert a couple of my old websites from Joomla to Wordpress; there are few things that I cannot do these days with Wordpress that I can do with Joomla.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          I've had a play with Wordpress. That's kind of what got me into wanting to learn a little more about HTML/CSS and the languages. Never gonna be a web developer, but I have to do something on these long cold nights
          If you are just wanting to learn for fun then I don't see the point of WordPress. Get a template, learn about hosting, configuring web server software, IIS, Apache etc, even setup a free account with Azure cloud hosting or whatever, learn something new.

Look at the template and change it to add your text, move things around, experiment. Add the code so someone can contact you, so perhaps learn about sending email. Throw in a slider or a bit of fancy functionality to learn about Javascript.

Comment

Hi Worthy,

Is it a static website or a web-application? In the later case, did you consider the mean stack:

home - Mongo Express Angular Node

Furthermore, I suggest have a look a Twitter Bootstrap the most popular HTML, CSS, and JS framework for developing responsive, mobile first projects on the web. Allows to get around hand-written CSS and the websites look quite neat from the beginning.

getbootstrap.com

Cheers,
            David
            Last edited by davidbieder; 20 February 2017, 14:40.
            David's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X