• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website development

Anyone built their own website for their contracting company? I had a play with HTML and CSS a few years ago and i'm going to have a go at building myself a little site. Any advice for a beginner?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Anyone built their own website for their contracting company? I had a play with HTML and CSS a few years ago and i'm going to have a go at building myself a little site. Any advice for a beginner?
    My two pence, just don't do you own design unless of course you are a designer. There are loads of sites where you can get a responsive template, pay 20-30 quid. Change the logo to your company logo, add the relevant text and host it somewhere cheap.

There are a few like this...
    https://wrapbootstrap.com/themes/landing-pages
    Last edited by woohoo; 5 January 2017, 22:03.

Comment

Get cheap hosting with MySQL and cPanel included, install Wordpress and pick a good responsive theme free or paid. A wee bit of tweaking and you have a great site with little pain. Also check out the hundreds of plugins to add functionality.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        I use Jimdo, costs £60 for web domain, email addresses and hosting per year. And loads of templates to easily build your own website.

Comment

I would say if you are a developer then I would expect your company website to not only look decent but have no errors and load pretty fast.

Are you going to add a blog or anything? I use https://github.com/madskristensen/MiniBlog/ which works well with live writer and it pretty lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Get cheap hosting with MySQL and cPanel included, install Wordpress and pick a good responsive theme free or paid. A wee bit of tweaking and you have a great site with little pain. Also check out the hundreds of plugins to add functionality.
            I've had a play with Wordpress. That's kind of what got me into wanting to learn a little more about HTML/CSS and the languages. Never gonna be a web developer, but I have to do something on these long cold nights

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I would say if you are a developer then I would expect your company website to not only look decent but have no errors and load pretty fast.

Are you going to add a blog or anything? I use https://github.com/madskristensen/MiniBlog/ which works well with live writer and it pretty lightweight.
              No i'm not a developer - this is really just for me to learn and keep my brain active. Years and years ago, when I was a statistician, I used to program in SSPS, SAS, FORTRAN, DBase3 and others, and I miss those heady days so learning a new skill is just a way to get back some of my glory days. Never going to do it commercially, but I'd love to build a nice website, step back, and think 'yeah, still got it'

Comment

My company website is still HTML and CSS based. It used to be hand crafted HTML but these days I use the free version of Microsoft Expression Web. It generates the code, then you can always modify it by hand if you want.

Comment

Didn't have a clue on website creation until I needed to spin up a site for a new company - since then I've done a few sites.

All are WordPress based. As has been mentioned, you don't have to be a designer, just pick a template you like the look of. If you want a little more control on how it looks, use a site builder plugin. I've used Beaver Builder on a couple of recent sites.

Comment

Go for WordPress or Joomla - Joomla's more powerful but a bit more technical. Both provide similar sets of themes.

Have a browse round a site like this:
                    RocketTheme - Joomla Templates, WordPress Themes, Magento Templates and phpBB Styles

It caters for both Joomla and Wordpress so will allow you to try both.

Get your hosting sorted and then create subfolders for each of them. Install both, have a play, see what suits you best and go with it. There are also plugins that allow you to convert between the two (not tried them yet so I don't know the percentage success in converting).
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X