• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile 3G/4G BB ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile 3G/4G BB ?

Hi folks, what's the latest thinking on getting internet at a property that doesn't (yet) have a landline with BB?

I seem to recall one can get devices that do this.

Or do people simply tether to their phones?

TIA.

EDIT: need it for a bout a month until BT get their arses in gear

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Hi folks, what's the latest thinking on getting internet at a property that doesn't (yet) have a landline with BB?

I seem to recall one can get devices that do this.

Or do people simply tether to their phones?

TIA.

EDIT: need it for a bout a month until BT get their arses in gear
    I did that for a month and 20gb lasted like three days due to smartphone locations, fukn Office365 updates, and general phone stuff. Lappy etc u can control more but smartphones suck data like mad and with kids. My youngest was sending 5 sec Snapchats every 5 mins at 20mb each, 20gb gone pretty soon!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I did that for a month and 20gb lasted like three days due to smartphone locations, fukn Office365 updates, and general phone stuff. Lappy etc u can control more but smartphones suck data like mad and with kids. My youngest was sending 5 sec Snapchats every 5 mins at 20mb each, 20gb gone pretty soon!
      +1 you would be best going for a 1 month mobile phone contract with tethering and a large amount of data. This is probably as good as you can find Select your SIM Size | Three (just gone for the 12 month version of it as it looks like I'm in Germany for a couple of days a week for the next couple of months)... Whatever you do don't connect another phone or tablet to it via wifi....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I had to move to 4G broadband as I am miles from the BT exchange, BT don't maintain their lines and my speed had gone down to 0.8Mbps.

Now got over 10Mbps for 30 quid for 50GB. Kids know the rules and don't waste it. Can keep to 50GB ok.
        Had to take my son's xbox1 to a friend's house to do some stuff - 18GB for one game update! but that would literally never have completed on my old BT broadband.

I was paying 24.99 for my BT broadband before and I'm going to ditch my land line and save costs there which I'm going to plough back into buying more data.

Bought a 4G router and external antenna as my house has very thick walls and service is poor inside.

Best part is that I won't have to call BT and speak to Bob Shawadiwadi and his incompetent mates ever again. Result!

If you are in a built up area, you will get much faster speeds than me and deals are only going to get better. I wouldn't bother with BT if I were in your shoes.

There are also some providers offering rural broadband at good speeds, unlimited data. Not reached me yet but certainly the future for rural areas and given the costs of maintaining wires/fibre are likely to start moving in to built up areas in time.
        Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
          I had to move to 4G broadband as I am miles from the BT exchange...
          Now got over 10Mbps for 30 quid for 50GB. Kids know the rules and don't waste it. Can keep to 50GB ok.
          who is this with please? EE? Three?

Comment

erm - not been on here for a while - sorry - It is Vodafone.

Had to top up this month, £20 for 15GB. Not quite sure why we used more data than usual.
            Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
              erm - not been on here for a while - sorry - It is Vodafone.

Had to top up this month, £20 for 15GB. Not quite sure why we used more data than usual.
              It's called children. Take every thing you've got and then some. Thinking them knowing the rules means they'll follow them? Rookie mistake
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X