• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Azure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Fair comment, although company policy also dictates actual practice too, such as the meeting required to discuss the implications of putting company data in the cloud if it's not been done before (data security team tin hat brigade).

Also if I've got immediate access to onsite server with SQL Server installed, I'm up and running immediately at no cost.
    I thought you just needed Excel and you were sorted?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Excel is for M3-driving marketing analysts.

Multiplan is for real men.

...or perhaps I'm showing my age

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Personally, no. I don't work for a consultancy where they seem to work in stages - sales and PMO get the PowerPoint Licence, analysts get Word and developers get Access and Excel.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You could add a knowledge of azure storage to your CV.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/services/storage/

We use a standard azure sql database for generic relational data but we now store files in blob storage, log and audit data in table storage and we make a lot of use of queues. We then have PowerBI pointing at all of the above for reporting.

It's useful to know when and when not to use traditional sql storage and also how to query these new storage types.

Not sure of any of these courses would help:

https://openedx.microsoft.com/

I was initially sceptical of the benefit of all of these but now find it incredibly flexible and useful - the only problem is trying to keep up with all of the new developments on the platform.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            UPDATE. I remember now why i hate ms websites. I can't see anyway of associating my azure account with my partner account even though they share the same email address. In fact because they share the same email address it may even stop you doing this, I watched a 5 min vid from MS on how to associate a new email with an organisation followed the steps and yep its already associated. But Azure is telling me it cant apply the offer because my login is not a ms partner.

FFS microsoft pages just break all over the place.

UPDATE2. Just typed everything out on the MS Forum for Azure, then told MS believes my post was spam and then redirects me to a spam forum. Lost the post!
            They are hopeless. You can contact the customer service via chat and they will point you to the right place to raise a proper ticket. then someone will manually add your sub to the desired Azure account.

BTW with the Action Pack you have 3 MSDN Pro subs each eligible for for another £65/month Azure credits or so, but can't be pooled and can't be used for "production" stuff legally.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              They are hopeless. You can contact the customer service via chat and they will point you to the right place to raise a proper ticket. then someone will manually add your sub to the desired Azure account.

BTW with the Action Pack you have 3 MSDN Pro subs each eligible for for another £65/month Azure credits or so, but can't be pooled and can't be used for "production" stuff legally.
              Thanks for the info. I've raised a ticket on Azure, followed some other steps and I now have two accounts on Azure with the same email address. Unfortunately, the wrong one has azure credit - £75 a month!

Waiting for a reply but the priority has been downgraded from two hour support to 24 hour support. If it all works will be a fantastic deal. I also have a office 365 using the same email that I pay for so hopefully can replace that also.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Thanks for the info. I've raised a ticket on Azure, followed some other steps and I now have two accounts on Azure with the same email address. Unfortunately, the wrong one has azure credit - £75 a month!

Waiting for a reply but the priority has been downgraded from two hour support to 24 hour support. If it all works will be a fantastic deal. I also have a office 365 using the same email that I pay for so hopefully can replace that also.
                All of their portals are utter tulip. While making my MPN account I managed associate one of my MS accounts with someone elses company as an admin, couldn't disassociate without passing it to someone else, the support was useless, so i just created a dummy account, transferred the ownership of the stargnergs MPN account to it and left it at that.

Office 365 bit is easy, just go to the admin page on the office365 and change the assigned license from your current to one of the E3 licenses from the MPN. you can find the license key for the 5 E3 licenses in https://partners.microsoft.com > Orders&Benefits > view License keys > Microsoft Online services. don't forget to cancel your old sub.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Office 365 bit is easy, just go to the admin page on the office365 and change the assigned license from your current to one of the E3 licenses from the MPN. you can find the license key for the 5 E3 licenses in https://partners.microsoft.com > Orders&Benefits > view License keys > Microsoft Online services. don't forget to cancel your old sub.
                  Great info thanks - will try that this afternoon.

I did manage to get azure support to sort it after complaining on twitter about lack of support.

Comment

Working...
                  X