• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too soon for OLED TVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too soon for OLED TVs?

My TV is about 8 years old - nothing wrong with it apart from looking abit dated. But even back then I didn't go for the standard edge lit display but went with the backlit as that didn't have the edge bleed.

I was never excited about 3D and it's now obvious that was a fad. Screens in general have not changed much as they have mostly been variations of led screens trying to increase darks by local dimming and such.

Now that oled is finally here, it has peaked my interest. Not the silly curved screens, but a good flat oled with deep blacks, a wide colour gamut and non reflective screen. HDR seems to be another one of those things which may fall along the way side.

There are only three major manufacturers that have jumped into oled, and it seems LG have the strongest offerings right now. There is a 55" I am looking at, but cannot justify the 2 grand price tag.

If I wait till end of next year I can scoop it up for about £600 quid and hope the difference is not much between it and the hottest tv. What are your thoughts on oled - worth the hype or the overinflated price tag?
    Last edited by Einstein Jnr; 15 November 2016, 11:34.

Where are you going to get a 55" OLED for £600 from?

I have experienced the beauty of an OLED screen on a computer display and would definitely go for an OLED TV, but i can't really go bellow 50" and as you mentioned the price tag for that sizes is £2k+ which is way too much for my taste.

Got a Sony Bravia KD55XD7005 for £600ish from amazon Black Friday last year and very pleased with it even though there is a general lack of 4K content out there it does a superb job of upsaling 1080p content which looks much better that on a 55" FullHD a friend of mine has. And AndroidTV is so much better than all the crap Sony/LG/Samsung are doing inhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
      My TV is about 8 years old - nothing wrong with it apart from looking abit dated. But even back then I didn't go for the standard edge lit display but went with the backlit as that didn't have the edge bleed.

I was never excited about 3D and it's now obvious that was a fad. Screens in general have not changed much as they have mostly been variations of led screens trying to increase darks by local dimming and such.

Now that oled is finally here, it has peaked my interest. Not the silly curved screens, but a good flat oled with deep blacks, a wide colour gamut and non reflective screen. HDR seems to be another one of those things which may fall along the way side.

There are only three major manufacturers that have jumped into oled, and it seems LG have the strongest offerings right now. There is a 55" I am looking at, but cannot justify the 2 grand price tag.

If I wait till end of next year I can scoop it up for about £600 quid and hope the difference is not much between it and the hottest tv. What are your thoughts on oled - worth the hype or the overinflated price tag?
      Don't they make screens for pretty much everyone, in any case
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Where are you going to get a 55" OLED for £600 from?

I wrote a year from now that's where i see the prices might be.

Don't they make screens for pretty much everyone, in any case

It's like and Audi and VW coming out of the same factory - one might have a few more bells and whistles to tip over the decision - or the badge depending on what you are after.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
          d it seems LG have the strongest offerings right now.
          In my experience, LG products are designed to kick the bucket within a few months of the guarantee expiring.

Comment

I was in the same boat and went for :

lg 55ef950v

It was last year's model, but I got it for ~£1700. The picture is amazing. I also wanted a flat TV, but quite fancied one with 3d.

The value is, however, subjective. Personally I spend more time in front of the telly than in the car, and my last (7 year old) telly is doing bedroom duty for the kids to play Xbox games on , so in the grand scheme of things it's not a massive investment.

You also get Amazon Prime, Netflix, Plex etc etc built in, so there's anciallary boxes and less clutter...
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              In my experience, LG products are designed to kick the bucket within a few months of the guarantee expiring.
              Buy one with a warranty then? I got 5 years on my set. It'll be obsolete by then anyway.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Still waiting for a mainstream OLED with 4k/UHD, so priced for mass market (under or around £1k for 50 to 60") and with longevity/warranty to match, and none of that curved screen bollox.

Until then I'll make do with with a relatively cheap 50" plasma.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                X