• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hive/Nest and other such smart home tech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hive/Nest and other such smart home tech

So I think now is the time for me to invest in some kind of heating/smart home control system

Hive looks good but development seems to have completely stalled and don't want to get locked into a Betamax rerun.

Nest gets a negative as I'm pretty wary of any google products but it seems to have all the extra components I'm looking for that Hive doesn't. Smoke alarm, camera etc

I usually buy Microsoft tech and I think they are doing something with Samsung but don't have a heating system as far as I can tell.

Kind of frustrating really.

Anyone taken the plunge?

I had a Nest and it was a lovely piece of kit, made by ex-Apple people so very stylish and solid feeling, and looked really cool.

That was in the old house, left it there, saved money deffo, but this new build house is so frickin hot all the time cos it's brand new heating's never on so I've not bothered with a new one. Might get the Gen. 3 when I've got a feel for the new place. Working in DK at the mo so not really worth spending on it yet.

Before that had a Tado that was ok but looked like tulip, functional German white plastic....

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      So I think now is the time for me to invest in some kind of heating/smart home control system

Hive looks good but development seems to have completely stalled and don't want to get locked into a Betamax rerun.

Nest gets a negative as I'm pretty wary of any google products but it seems to have all the extra components I'm looking for that Hive doesn't. Smoke alarm, camera etc

I usually buy Microsoft tech and I think they are doing something with Samsung but don't have a heating system as far as I can tell.

Kind of frustrating really.

Anyone taken the plunge?
      Mate has the nest for heating and loves it. I've got the nest camera and its good, expensive but good.

I'm looking into automating the house now, I'm currently using the Amazon Echo and wemo app to control lights but also looking at adding the Phillips emo lighting.

Regarding buying Microsoft tech, I'm boycotting them, last two dealings with their support have been a nightmare. When I dealt with Apple over faulty kit they where incredibly nice and efficient. MS support, crap and rude.
      Last edited by woohoo; 6 October 2016, 18:38.

Comment

We have the Nest thermostat and the Nest smoke alarms (I don't think they make them anymore) - very pleased with the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Microsoft tech
          ????????

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
            We have the Nest thermostat and the Nest smoke alarms (I don't think they make them anymore) - very pleased with the kit.
            They do!

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/meet-nest-protect/

Comment

Got a Hive thermostat and that works well, can control the heating via phone / tablet or just use the Hive box itself.

Doesn't appear to work with Amazon Echo and not really looked into adding any other devices.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Nest does look like the winner by some distance but they seem to have no app for windows phone. I would loathe letting a google app having control of my phone GPS as well.

I can see hive marketing stuff from 18 months ago saying they were brining a camera but nothing now, people on the hive message boards getting might pissed about it.

Smoke alarm and camera is kind of just for when I'm away on holiday really. My thermostat only does blocks of 1 hour which is really fecking annoying.

Comment

My sister has a Hive and seems pleased enough with it.

My parents have a Wave and seem pleased enough with it.

We have the Nest set so that rather than being on a motion sensor it works out from mobile phones where we are and whether it needs to be on or not. The most useful feature I've found on all of them is the ability to turn the heating off when we go away (and forget to do it beforehand) and switch it on when we're coming back so the house is nice and warm to come back to.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                    The most useful feature I've found on all of them is the ability to turn the heating off when we go away (and forget to do it beforehand) and switch it on when we're coming back so the house is nice and warm to come back to.
                    Back in the days people used to leave a key with a friendly neighbour for that... Times change i guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X