• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Laptop - Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Thanks, but that in the zone she doesn't want to pay
    Then no SSD.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It all depends on usage of course, but for an i5 with 8gb ram SSD is the most important upgrade, not processor or memory. It also saves battery life.

Comment

Outlet store?

Being a cheapskate I have a s/h M3800 I bought off Ebay; essentially a £2K laptop for £750 with half the warranty left. I was able to sell my old i7 XPS15 for £250.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
          It all depends on usage of course, but for an i5 with 8gb ram SSD is the most important upgrade, not processor or memory. It also saves battery life.
          ^This, also my biggest beef with cheapo laptops is the screen resolution. 1366 x 768 is absolute tulip and lower than most high end phones.

s/h and outlet stores are probably your best bet for the price band mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            ^This, also my biggest beef with cheapo laptops is the screen resolution. 1366 x 768 is absolute tulip and lower than most high end phones.

s/h and outlet stores are probably your best bet for the price band mentioned.
            And we are back to post 2 of this thread.

For a laptop on a budget when you don't care about brand but do care about quality the best option is dell outlet's business machines...

There were 14 and 15 inch models over the weekend with a 1920x1080 screen i5 processor and an ssd for less than £500 ex vat...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              And we are back to post 2 of this thread. For a laptop on a budget when you don't care about brand but do care about quality the best option is dell outlet's business machines...
              Indeed, I can't help but think the OP's question is effectively,
              "I want a £1000 laptop, but I only want to spend £500".

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Indeed, I can't help but think the OP's question is effectively,
                "I want a £1000 laptop, but I only want to spend £500".
                Not really. My comment was:

Am I missing something? Have laptop prices gone up? I seem to remember being able to get an i5 for around £500 a few years ago.
                Even minus an SSD prices seem higher than I remember. The Dell Latitude 15" with a 256GB SSD came in at £1100 excl. VAT and Delivery. I have bought i5 machines for both my kids and advised many others and each time they were around £500 inc. VAT although to be fair they were 4GB RAM not 8GB.

Well the GF has gone shopping to see what she can find. My Mac Air seems good value compared to current Windows laptop prices.

EDIT: P.S. have looked and will continue to look at the Dell outlet site. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Not really. My comment was:

Even minus an SSD prices seem higher than I remember. The Dell Latitude 15" with a 256GB SSD came in at £1100 excl. VAT and Delivery. I have bought i5 machines for both my kids and advised many others and each time they were around £500 inc. VAT although to be fair they were 4GB RAM not 8GB.

Well the GF has gone shopping to see what she can find. My Mac Air seems good value compared to current Windows laptop prices.

EDIT: P.S. have looked and will continue to look at the Dell outlet site. Thanks for the reminder.
                  One here £606 all in
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    One here £606 all in
                    Not any more

Comment

Thanks all for your help. Topic closed. She got an HP (with HDD boo hiss) for £699.

Comment

Working...
                      X