• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this possible - OSX Server and Networking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible - OSX Server and Networking

I know its possible to use an OSX server as DHCP, and that is up and running fine.

What I want to know is if its possible to effectively use the OSX as a router, connect the WiFi to a BT Home Hub, and the ethernet port to a switch (I could use the Home Hub as a router but not a fan, so using it purely as a modem at the moment). As it stands the two networks are interdependent, but is it possible to bridge the two so traffic can come in on the ethernet and out over the WiFi?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I know its possible to use an OSX server as DHCP, and that is up and running fine.

What I want to know is if its possible to effectively use the OSX as a router, connect the WiFi to a BT Home Hub, and the ethernet port to a switch (I could use the Home Hub as a router but not a fan, so using it purely as a modem at the moment). As it stands the two networks are interdependent, but is it possible to bridge the two so traffic can come in on the ethernet and out over the WiFi?
    Why are you trying to separate the network traffic?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Yes, I do (or did) that with mine, but I use an Apple Airport, and OSX Server Manager automatically set up the NAT etc for on it.

Remember that DHCP isn't routable (I don't think) unless you have a helper on the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Why are you trying to separate the network traffic?
        Its WAN and LAN, I think I want to basically use the OSX Server as a router to bridge the two.

I think this will do what I want it to do, but doesn't work with Wireless

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18510?locale=en_GB

Might get a cheap USB/Ethernet adapter to check

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

As it stands I have:

BT Home Hub = Modem
          Apple Airport = Router
          Meraki AP = Wifi

I want to add another AP as the house is too big for just the one, I wanted to see if I can use the OSX Server as the router and the Airport as a second AP, I know I can set it up for DHCP, anything that attaches to it picks up a new IP, the OSX Server can connect to the BT Home Hub via WiFi and a switch via ethernet.

I just can't join up traffic going in on the ethernet, and out on the WiFi.

I know logically I can just use the HH5 as an all in one and effectively then have three different AP's, but I just can't get on with it.

Comment

Working...
          X