• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10 anniversary update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Now if I could only think of a single reason I might want to use that.
    MS state.."This is primarily a tool for developers -- especially web developers and those who work on or with open source projects. This allows those who want/need to use Bash, common Linux tools (sed, awk, etc.) and many Linux-first tools (Ruby, Python, etc.) to use their toolchain on Windows."

Looks like for the first time you get a proper Linux 'ELF binary' environment on Windows, without needing to dual boot/VM/emulate etc. Compile on your Surface Book, ftp upload and run on Richard Stallman's laptop.
    For devs that need to work on both platforms WSL looks like it could be one of the biggies in the Anniversary update.

Would love to see know Linus Torvald's/ Richard Stallman's reaction to WSL - can it be added to www.distrowatch.com ?
    Last edited by SunnyInHades; 3 August 2016, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
      MS state.."This is primarily a tool for developers -- especially web developers and those who work on or with open source projects. This allows those who want/need to use Bash, common Linux tools (sed, awk, etc.) and many Linux-first tools (Ruby, Python, etc.) to use their toolchain on Windows."
      I'm working on Linux software in Windows with VisualStudio (because it's so much easier), and using a VM to get it to build (and hopefully work first time) under Linux. So this potentially does help me (or at least it would if ClientCo's PC had Windows 10).
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X