• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10 anniversary update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 anniversary update

It's taking long enough. Clearly this is a little more than rearranging the icons on the start menu.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

I didn't update. Probably I will have Windows 15... in my next computer.

Comment

Oh FFS! Followed the link to download MS's update tool to manually install the update; told it to "upgrade this PC". It chugged away for an hour and has left me with exactly the same version I had before!

Comment

I'm going to avoid manually requesting the update (presuming it's not yet automatically being applied for the masses) until you guinea pigs have reported all the issues.

Should be safe in a few weeks after the next update.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

FTFY
          Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          I'm going to avoid manually requesting the update (presuming it's not yet automatically being applied for the masses) until you guinea pigs have reported all the issues.

Should be safe in a few months after the next service pack.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

My SurfaceBook - sorry, MyCo's SurfaceBook - has just completed the update. Few bits and pieces seem different - notification icon has moved to far right of taskbar, for example, and the Start Menu has changed (again!).....oh, and there is a Windows Ink Workspace icon towards on the taskbar, too.

Will investigate further when Client demands subside in the after-lunch lull
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
              My SurfaceBook - sorry, MyCo's SurfaceBook - has just completed the update. Few bits and pieces seem different - notification icon has moved to far right of taskbar, for example, and the Start Menu has changed (again!).....oh, and there is a Windows Ink Workspace icon towards on the taskbar, too.

Will investigate further when Client demands subside in the after-lunch lull
              Don't forget the new Ubuntu supported 'Bash shell/Windows Subsystem for Linux' which takes Torvald's 'baby' (the Linux kernel) out of the loop - that's what I'm looking forward to try:

Windows 10 Anniversary
              Bash Shell
              |
              gcc producing ELF binaries, git, grep, sudo, awk, Python, Ruby etc
              |
              Windows Subsystem for Linux

Linux
              Bash Shell
              |
              |
              Linux kernel

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                Don't forget the new Ubuntu supported 'Bash shell/Windows Subsystem for Linux' which takes Torvald's 'baby' (the Linux kernel) out of the loop - that's what I'm looking forward to try:

Windows 10 Anniversary
                Bash Shell
                |
                |
                Windows Subsystem for Linux

Linux
                Bash Shell
                |
                |
                Linux kernel
                Wonder if it's as bad as Cygwin or the piss-awful Unix Services for Windows subsystem we needed for GPFS clusters....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Wonder if it's as bad as Cygwin or the piss-awful Unix Services for Windows subsystem we needed for GPFS clusters....
                  Although I've not used it yet:
                  1) Apparently .. there are no DLLs like Cygwin, rather it's like Linux 'Wine' in reverse with Linux->Win10 run time system call mapping
                  2) Allegedly .. compile source using gcc on Win10, ftp binary UNCHANGED to Ubuntu Linux. Run binary on Ubuntu.

"This is not a VM. This is not cross-compiled tools. This is native ...We've partnered with Canonical
                  We've actually taken the Linux UserMode code from Ubuntu and we've built a subsystem into the Windows kernel to expose an interface that looks to all intents and purposes like Linux to a Linux UserMode.
                  So we've integrated Windows and the Linux UserMode code to run smoothly on Windows. We're calling this Windows Subsystem for Linux."
                  Last edited by SunnyInHades; 3 August 2016, 15:43.

Comment

I have it today. Obviously I was a bit too keen yesterday.

Start menu is better because it now shows all the programs. Notifications are in the bottom right corner which kind of pushes the clock into the wrong position, but otherwise haven't noticed anything particularly different.

Linuxy bash thing sounds interesting. Now if I could only think of a single reason I might want to use that.

Comment

Working...
                    X