• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fire Stick Versus Google Chromecast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of an old thread but will pitch in. I own Chromecast 1st gen, Apple TV 4th gen, NVIDIA Shield Android TV, Sony TV built in Android TV.

If it's for abroad - Prime won't work unless you use UK VPN and the OP was trying to avoid data charges in the first place.

Chromecast is a great option for streaming something form your device or the internet. Terrible for anything else, limited apps, no direct control over the device.

Personally my favourite travelling companion is the NVIDIA Shield - a bit pricey (got mine from Amazon Prime deal for £100). But it can run Plex server and has builtin Chromecast functionality, plus it's half a gaming console providing additional entertainment. The only downside (other than the price) is it doesn't have out of the box Amazon Prime streaming, can be side loaded fairly easy tho and irrelevant abroad anyway.

Comment

A lot of what put me off the Firestick is the extra (and very naff looking) remote control.

Now I have a TV with Netflix and the like built in I use the Chromecast a lot less, but although the TV has YouTube it's so much easier with the tablet/Chromecast than the clunky remote control/TV interface.

If you're anal about these things checkout the output framerates. Many of these devices only do 60Hz and so judder with any European 25/50 content, and differently with any 24p content. Chromecast now has a 50Hz mode, added recently after years of complaints, but they didn't add the 24p compatible mode people have been crying out for, which means most things on Netflix/Amazon you're stuck with a choice of two differently juddering modes. That's if you notice, which most don't.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        A lot of what put me off the Firestick is the extra (and very naff looking) remote control.
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....aosp&hl=en_GB
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It also supports remote control through hdmi, so if you've got a newish TV, it's remote will probably work with it.

Comment

Looks like much the same POS android remote LG have for my TV. I installed it; laughed, then uninstalled it.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Looks like much the same POS android remote LG have for my TV. I installed it; laughed, then uninstalled it.
              stop being remotist!!!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X