• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dropbox large data but don't want to sync initially

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox large data but don't want to sync initially

I want to move my itunes and photos onto dropbox and so we're talking about approx 50Gb of data. I'd rather initially copy the data via USB drive or over home network across the different machines (3) and have dropbox keep them synced from then onwards, therefore avoiding 50Gb upload to DB and then 100Gb download to two other machines.

If I were to exit DB on all machines and copy the itunes directory to the same place in each of the three machines' DB folder , what would happen when DB restarts? Will it try to upload, compare & then download all three sets of data or will it hopefully just say file exists, same timestamp, nothing to do here?

If not, any ideas on how I can do this? I know I will have to let it upload the data to DB.

TIA

Pondy

If you enable LAN Sync it should avoid having to go through DB's servers, although it will always index the folder at least once.

Why do you want to avoid having to sync them all? You are risking file conflicts if you don't
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      If you enable LAN Sync it should avoid having to go through DB's servers, although it will always index the folder at least once.

Why do you want to avoid having to sync them all? You are risking file conflicts if you don't
      Ta SM. Seems I have this set already.

I am happy for them to sync after the initial copy. Just trying to avoid having to download the data twice to the other machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Ta SM. Seems I have this set already.

I am happy for them to sync after the initial copy. Just trying to avoid having to download the data twice to the other machines.
        You could try the manual copy to all locations, however I said it will need at least one upload, there is also a lot of hidden files that you will need to make sure you move over too in the ".dropbox.cache"
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          You could try the manual copy to all locations, however I said it will need at least one upload, there is also a lot of hidden files that you will need to make sure you move over too in the ".dropbox.cache"
          Hopefully this LAN Sync will do what I need.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X