• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to understand technical side of IT Project Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel99 View Post
    Thank you for a reply. Yes, I am not a PM yet, but I want to be. I am trying to get more responsibility in any job I do, study on my free time etc. I know I will make it - everyone started somewhere.

Computer Science Engineer course - it this like a degree or part-time course?
    I'm sorry to telling you this, but if you don't know what a Computer Science Engineer is, you are in the wrong business.

You have to concentrate your effort in your deliverables and the project goals, instead of diverge to other areas that you are not responsible or you don't have background.

If you start to put "your nose" in the technical area you can be a joke among your colleagues.

Comment

NLUK - I really respect you from reading the forums, but it looks like your really like telling people this.

I never said I am a PM - I said I want to learn the skills and I want to become a PM one day. I think everyone started somewhere?

I can support PMs as a perm or as a contractor - so far I didn't notice big difference there.

The topic was about me learning some theory - for my own benefit. I am not saying that this will make me a PM.

I have spare time - want to learn something useful - what's wrong with that.
      Sorry you've taken it the wrong way. Some people don't like competency based feedback and take it personally, others see it as a solid baseline from which to improve. Probably works very badly over the interspaz and a lot can be misread in to a single post...

Gables advice covers what I was getting at without being too direct so see if you like the way that's put better.

Either way.. I'm done. Good luck in whatever you do.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
        Sound advice ^^ also in my experience having observed many PMs there is a personality trait the good ones have, you either have it or you don't, I don't think it can be learned from a book or that you can force it; through experience of managing projects you can nurture\develop it\polish of the rough edges... but it has to be there to start with. Also, be careful looking at good PMs delivering projects 'easily', the good ones (in any walk of life) make it look easy.
        Hence my comment about nurturing your people skills.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thank you NLUK, that's really helpful.

My experience is mixed between PMO and PM (support). PMO responsibilities are more clear to me, but I am leaning towards PM as a goal. I time to time get a chance to lead on specific deliverable of a project, but I often feel not clear about technical processes. Everyone tells you don't need to know all the technical stuff to be a good PM - but I think it would help me to feel more competent.
          You feel more competent probably because you are a detail oriented person and good in detail deliverables. You don’t feel comfortable, or feel insecure if you don’t know all the details.

For a PM you need to concentrate in the functionality, the big picture of the process, the architecture it's a black box for you.
          You need to educate the way of thinking and be a good leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            You feel more competent probably because you are a detail oriented person and good in detail deliverables. You don’t feel comfortable, or feel insecure if you don’t know all the details.

For a PM you need to concentrate in the functionality, the big picture of the process, the architecture it's a black box for you.
            You need to educate the way of thinking and be a good leader.
            Cheers for that

Comment

Thank you all for your replies - definitely a lot of food for thought.

I just signed my 6 months extension, so will be doing what I am doing for the time being.

I didn't go contracting for the money or hoping to build a career. I simply had a few offers, one of them was contracting, it was attractive for several reasons, so I took a shot. My warchest build up nicely during the past 6 months, so if I end up out of work - oh well.

I realise I still have a lot of skills to learn, but my current contract already gave me more opportunities than my previous perm job.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it than I do, but I can't complain of my choices!

Comment

Cheers for that
                You are welcome

Comment

Working...
                X