• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop with VMs/Virtual PCs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop with VMs/Virtual PCs

Hello,

Looking at getting a new laptop in the summer which can host multiple virtual pc/vm machines. Is there a recommended set up that you'd recommend/have good experience with.

Ideally I'd want to set up:
    One for general personal usage (music, art films, Hotmail. facebook, etc)
    One for business usage (ltd co accounts, emails, quotes, letters, invoicing, etc)
    3-4 more for different software setups that I typically work with (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the non-numpty answers; the rest of you know who you are.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Hello,

Looking at getting a new laptop in the summer which can host multiple virtual pc/vm machines. Is there a recommended set up that you'd recommend/have good experience with.

Ideally I'd want to set up:
    One for general personal usage (music, art films, Hotmail. facebook, etc)
    One for business usage (ltd co accounts, emails, quotes, letters, invoicing, etc)
    3-4 more for different software setups that I typically work with (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the non-numpty answers; the rest of you know who you are.
    How many do you plan to run at once?

Comment

CPU: Any quad core CPU should be enough, i7 recommended.
      RAM: The amount of RAM depends on how many VMs you plan to run simultaneously. But i wouldn't by anything with less than 8GB even if no VMs are going to run on it.
      Disk: Large SSD highly recommended 512GB ones are cheap enough nowadays. Multiple VMs I/O will wreck a laptop HDD in many cases

The rest is a matter of personal preference / budget.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        How many do you plan to run at once?
        Two max probably.

Originally posted by sal View Post
        CPU: Any quad core CPU should be enough, i7 recommended.
        RAM: The amount of RAM depends on how many VMs you plan to run simultaneously. But i wouldn't by anything with less than 8GB even if no VMs are going to run on it.
        Disk: Large SSD highly recommended 512GB ones are cheap enough nowadays. Multiple VMs I/O will wreck a laptop HDD in many cases

The rest is a matter of personal preference / budget.
        Thanks.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

MacBook Pro, use as your general day to day it will be impractical using a VM for movies/films etc, not sure why you want a separate one for your company, unless you think having a VM for the company means you will be able to put it though the company books, but we all know you won't try and claim that as the machine will be used for personal use too.

VirtualBox for your VM's, I have a Windows server and a linux server running as guest VM's.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Any current new laptop can do this to some degree. It comes down to your budget and specific requirements. The more ram the better.

I run a macbook pro with 16gb ram and VMware fusion. Works well.

Comment

I run a Citrix session to a VM on my home computer for my activity here.....

I have a slight latency issue with posts from MF & the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                MacBook Pro, use as your general day to day it will be impractical using a VM for movies/films etc, not sure why you want a separate one for your company, unless you think having a VM for the company means you will be able to put it though the company books, but we all know you won't try and claim that as the machine will be used for personal use too.
                Doesn't it depend on how much personal use he does?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Doesn't it depend on how much personal use he does?
                  IMHO no, even once or twice a month using a video player or music streamer like spotifiy would make having the non personal aspect of his usage not go through a VM.

Or did you mean how much personal use the laptop would have compared to business use as to whether or not he can legitimately claim it as a business expense?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

VirtualBox for your VM's, I have a Windows server and a linux server running as guest VM's.
                    No taxation reasons behind it, purely segregation of usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X