• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop with VMs/Virtual PCs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a HP Proliant Microserver, cost £100 and added memory and disks for another couple of hundred

Comment

Separate Tails VM for online Banking and other secure transactions

https://tails.boum.org/
      So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
        I use a HP Proliant Microserver, cost £100 and added memory and disks for another couple of hundred
        What base operating system do you use, Windows Server 20xx?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've been down this road and you end up spending a lot of cash and are often disappointed with the results.

I have specced and built a FO big gamers desktop, banged all my VMs on there and access them remotely over VPN.

If it's good enough for the big boys, it's good enough for me.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Current setup:
            MacBook Pro 13 (early 2015), maxed out (i7, 1TB SSD, 16GB).

I run Windows 10 Pro on Parallels Desktop as a dev machine. Visual Studio + SQL Server Management Studio. 3 cores + about 6GB in memory allocated makes it more than reasonably quick.

Had a Sony Vaio Pro Touch 13 before but it just didn't cut the mustard having only 8GB of memory and 128GB SSD.

Verdict: I like it a lot, plenty of oomph from the i7 (5557U) and very portable. Happy with it as a dev machine for the side project. Occasionally I toy with the quad core big brother 15 inch but it's just too heavy and bulky.

Comment

Working...
            X