• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10 - Did you upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all, very interesting so far !

Comment

Upgraded a Lenovo W530 a while back and was very happy until an update came along and I got trapped in a never ending cycle of reboots (sounds familiar?) Blue screens and loads of other problems. Booted with a Linux CD and copied all relevant data to USB and put the old drive back in with Win7, not too sure when I'll upgrade again.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I've upgraded all my main machines off Win 7 and Win 8.

Biggest pain I've found is the updates installing when it feels like it (even though you can schedule the restart)

Windows 10 is a much better OS - just need MS to iron out the niggles that some are having.

Comment

Coincidence both you and BP had problems with Lenovos?

Hmmm. Maybe not, seems to be same problem with Windows 10 on various machines:

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-...10-update.html
          Last edited by xoggoth; 17 February 2016, 22:35.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

No, I left all my stuff on the same old Win 7. For now.
            Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

No chance, still on W7 on my main PC and laptop. Got no real motivation to risk upsetting what are stable perfectly usable systems. The SSD upgrades to both gave them a new lease of life. I am unaware of any 'must have' features in W10 that would make a genuine improvement.

Not got the 'pester until upgrade to W10' windows update I've read about as I don't install everything in the list only the important updates, so maybe it's stuck in the optional list.

Was going to download the full W10 ISO and upgrade my dad's PC that I upgraded to W8 back in the day, but after the W8 experience (and me having to roll it back several times to a previous snapshot after he installed a dodgy windows update) he doesn't want W10 until they've ironed out the issues.

They still force W10 users to install all their updates automatically I presume? If so M$ can kiss my
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                They still force W10 users to install all their updates automatically I presume? If so M$ can kiss my
                Looks like they are pulling out all the stops to get you to upgrade.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Looks like they are pulling out all the stops to get you to upgrade.

qh

Frak me. You can tell they don't think their tulip stinks, and that there's no genuine IT illiterate alternative for people to move to.

Linux? Nope. Unless they start giving away live CDs/USB sticks in boxes of cornflakes no one 'normal' is going to get past the eternal question of which version to use.

The final solution will be that PCs and laptops are replaced with Dom Joly size smartphones running Android or iOS. You don't need a time machine to see that one coming.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Anyone upgraded to AIX 7.2 yet? Fraid it's POWER7 and POWER8 only, anyone with POWER6 or below needs to upgrade - to a new Frame!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Anyone upgraded to AIX 7.2 yet? Fraid it's POWER7 and POWER8 only, anyone with POWER6 or below needs to upgrade - to a new Frame!!
                      Ah but think of all the money you'll save with increased performance and denser virtual machines! Plus 90%+ power savings and less rack space. You know it makes sense. Sign here

Comment

Working...
                      X