• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VMware stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMware stuff

Installed freebie VMware Workstation v 12 onto a Windows 10 machine

Setup a XP installation & all went OK for a while

After a reboot the VMware had reverted back to original launch screen asking for a valid email address and didn't register any XP installation to start

Any idea how to easily recover the XP installation other than reinstalling
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Don't think VMware Workstation is free.....

Comment

Is it the host application that is asking for registration, or the VM?

As Stek says not sure its free, try VirtualBox next time
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's the VM that's asking for the emails address

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...on_player/12_0

as I read it needed a license for commercial - valid email for personal

Comment

VMWare vSphere Client ESXi 6.0 is free for 60 days (or was for version 5.5).

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            VMWare vSphere Client ESXi 6.0 is free for 60 days (or was for version 5.5).

qh
            It's free forever but after the 60 days you need to licence it as the free version, which cripples all sorts of API's as I found out to my cost when I used it at current clientco.....

Comment

VMware Workstation <> VMware vSphere

Workstation is an entirely different product to vSphere.

Workstation is a personal desktop product which runs atop Microsoft Windows.

It's not free beyond time limited evaluation period.

VMware Workstation: Multiple Operating Systems Linux, Windows 8 & More | VMware United Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
                Workstation is an entirely different product to vSphere.

Workstation is a personal desktop product which runs atop Microsoft Windows.

It's not free beyond time limited evaluation period.

VMware Workstation: Multiple Operating Systems Linux, Windows 8 & More | VMware United Kingdom
                Check again....

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  It's the VM that's asking for the emails address

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...on_player/12_0

as I read it needed a license for commercial - valid email for personal
                  It is free but will nag you until you pop an email address in.

Virtual box is a good option for you, and there is no need to rebuild your XP image.

Install VirtualBox from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Follow the instructions here on how to import the virtual hard disk from the XP machine you already created (.vmdk file in the folder where the VMware Virtual machine lives) How to open a .vmdk file in Oracle VirtualBox | Techathlon

No need to uninstall VMware, but if you do it should leave the VMware folder (and virtual machine) behind, but I would take a copy just to be sure.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    It is free but will nag you until you pop an email address in.

Virtual box is a good option for you, and there is no need to rebuild your XP image.

Install VirtualBox from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Follow the instructions here on how to import the virtual hard disk from the XP machine you already created (.vmdk file in the folder where the VMware Virtual machine lives) How to open a .vmdk file in Oracle VirtualBox | Techathlon

No need to uninstall VMware, but if you do it should leave the VMware folder (and virtual machine) behind, but I would take a copy just to be sure.
                    Thanks for all the answers - but I decided to back out the pos Win10 upgrade and revert to Win 7 - which removes the need for a Virtual instance
                    Win7 will have support till 2020 so may go Linux after that

Comment

Working...
                    X