• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Virgin Media router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Have had the Meraki AP for a few weeks now and am really impressed with it, range seems to be comparable to the Apple Airport Extreme, which is much better than the BT Home Hub 5.

    Have it configured for 3 wireless SSID's, main one, kids one and guest one, the controls allows different DNS for each SSID so the main one is just the standard ISP DNS, but the kids one routes though OpenDNS which has filtering on content etc, the Guest SSID is isolated from the main LAN so they can't access any of the servers/printers/NAS boxes etc, also have each kids set up as a group policy which restricts the time during the day that they are on their devies, youngest kids gets locked out earlier than the eldest, would have loved to have an "allowance" so each kid gets say 2 hours a day which they eat into but that's a bit blue sky thinking.

    Still thinking of getting one of their MX routers for site-to-site VPN
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

    I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

    Comment


      #32
      Sounds like a good set up. I just got the AP and wanted a switch as I was now running the Virgin router in modem mode. I found another webinar where they give the 8 port MX free. Catch is it comes with a 3 year license then they start to make their money back.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
        Sounds like a good set up. I just got the AP and wanted a switch as I was now running the Virgin router in modem mode. I found another webinar where they give the 8 port MX free. Catch is it comes with a 3 year license then they start to make their money back.
        Wonder if you can get the switch if you have the free AP already?

        I am going to be a MX64HW router, suppose if I can replace the Netgear switch with a Meraki one it will integrate better, although I only use the Netgear for more ports rather than as an actual switch
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

        I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Have had the Meraki AP for a few weeks now and am really impressed with it, range seems to be comparable to the Apple Airport Extreme, which is much better than the BT Home Hub 5.

          Have it configured for 3 wireless SSID's, main one, kids one and guest one, the controls allows different DNS for each SSID so the main one is just the standard ISP DNS, but the kids one routes though OpenDNS which has filtering on content etc, the Guest SSID is isolated from the main LAN so they can't access any of the servers/printers/NAS boxes etc, also have each kids set up as a group policy which restricts the time during the day that they are on their devies, youngest kids gets locked out earlier than the eldest, would have loved to have an "allowance" so each kid gets say 2 hours a day which they eat into but that's a bit blue sky thinking.

          Still thinking of getting one of their MX routers for site-to-site VPN
          How did you do this? I have the standard Virgin Media 2Ghz and 5Ghz, how do you get a third one? Just create it?

          qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

          I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            How did you do this? I have the standard Virgin Media 2Ghz and 5Ghz, how do you get a third one? Just create it?

            qh
            Sorry, the conversation moved away from Virgin Router a while ago, I am using the Meraki AP that I received after viewing their webinar.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

            I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Sorry, the conversation moved away from Virgin Router a while ago, I am using the Meraki AP that I received after viewing their webinar.
              Well go and get yer own thread then. Pah bloody contractors coming over here invading people's threads on Tech, I will be writing to the Daily Mail. It's probably negatively affected my house price.

              Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

              I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Wonder if you can get the switch if you have the free AP already?

                I am going to be a MX64HW router, suppose if I can replace the Netgear switch with a Meraki one it will integrate better, although I only use the Netgear for more ports rather than as an actual switch
                Yes - I just got mine - now have the AP and the MX220 8 port switch.

                Comment


                  #38
                  I just did the webinar and the Meraki guy called and more or less told me to fook off for a free AP!!

                  Said I don't qualify....

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
                    Sounds like a good set up. I just got the AP and wanted a switch as I was now running the Virgin router in modem mode. I found another webinar where they give the 8 port MX free. Catch is it comes with a 3 year license then they start to make their money back.
                    Any link to that webinar?

                    Can't see anything that gives the switch away, only an AP.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Missed the webinar start by a few minutes and so don't qualify

                      Nice Cisco sales lady tried to sort it but wasn't able to. Set me up for another one tonight and promised to get the AP out to me straight away after it registered me as attending.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X