• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deploying a custom ISO to AWS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deploying a custom ISO to AWS

Hi All,
    Looking for a bit of a pointer on this. A customer has asked me to spin up a couple of VMs in AWS for them. The only potential fly in the ointment is that they need to install a custom OS.

All of the reference material I've found seems to imply you can only use a basic ISO from the marketplace and the customise it (either using Chef or by creating a new base OS and then snapshotting it).

Is it even possible to install a custom OS inside AWS?

Regards....

b0redom
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Interesting question.
    I've not done it myself; only used Ubuntu or Amazon Linux.
    Some discussion here:-
    amazon ec2 - Create New EC2 Instance with Custom ISO - Stack Overflow

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      Hi All,
      Looking for a bit of a pointer on this. A customer has asked me to spin up a couple of VMs in AWS for them. The only potential fly in the ointment is that they need to install a custom OS.

All of the reference material I've found seems to imply you can only use a basic ISO from the marketplace and the customise it (either using Chef or by creating a new base OS and then snapshotting it).

Is it even possible to install a custom OS inside AWS?

Regards....

b0redom
      It used to be, certainly. You build a custom ami and upload that.

Comment

If you want to ami a custom os then install that on VMware or virtualbox. Then create an ova and upload to s3 and then import your ova as an ami.

Comment

Working...
        X