• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GPU, GPGPU & Parallel Programming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Fiction. Link please ?

Jobserve is in no way restricted to IOS etc, it is in fact the UK's leading job site in the IT world in all technologies. It is true that it's not the force it was but it is still a good indicator of what is hapening in the IT space in the UK.

The remainder of what you say in that quote seems to be entirely irrelevant, but whatever you found in your Xmas stocking, I wish there'd been some in mine...

So what ? You said SDN / NFV is "smokin'" which, in the UK at least it clearly is not. And the salary for the role you post in your link is paying £101k equiv, which is easily matched and bettered in permanent IB roles in London and by contract rates in almost every other field to boot. Certainly a full year in contract nets me a whole lot more than that in embedded C / C++.

One hears of 7 figure salaries being paid in the West Coast of the USA but that is as irrelevant as the nonsense you posted for the simple reason that UK citizens will struggle to get interviews let alone visa's.

"Smokin'" my FHUA.

So my comment stands : kindly take your nonsensical spam jobs posts for jobs that don't really exist to somewheer they belong like, well, like Bobserve for example.

Boo

Boo you <snip>. I am not posting jobs, I am suggesting that SDN development pays well. I am not an agent, I am a board director of a multinational company. I don't need to punt for contractors on CUK and nor have I.

I am not based in the UK and my point was mostly that SDN development does not happen in the UK, so using UK centric Jobserve with a sample of 4 to provide indicative rates of SDN development contract rates is an exercise in futility.

We have a facility in San Jose, and I can assure you that UK citizens will have no problem getting visa sponsorship with the right skills and background. Do you even have a UK passport? Judging by your comprehension & posting not.

Before you accuse me of being racist, let me point out I am Welsh (eek!), speak fluent English, Spanish, German & French and will be happy to continue this discussion in any of them with you.
    Last edited by administrator; 22 January 2016, 18:41. Reason: No personal abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      I am not based in the UK and my point was mostly that SDN development does not happen in the UK, so using UK centric Jobserve with a sample of 4 to provide indicative rates of SDN development contract rates is an exercise in futility.
      Except that you are posting in a UK based forum (the hint is in the name "ContractorUK") and neither did you mention in your first post that you are based abroad.

The simple fact is that SDN is a stagnant pool here in the UK and from the rates you quote abroad no better there either.

Next.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        Except that you are posting in a UK based forum (the hint is in the name "ContractorUK") and neither did you mention in your first post that you are based abroad.

The simple fact is that SDN is a stagnant pool here in the UK and from the rates you quote abroad no better there either.

Next.

Boo
        Boo,

My apologies for being rude to you earlier.

I hope you would be so kind as to accommodate me in appreciating that a lot of UK based contractors ran for the hills on the cusp of IR35.

I do not believe that this disqualifies UK contractors who left the UK from participating in this forum. Indeed, the progression of off shoring to near shoring illustrates that we are working in a cross cultural, multi territory environment which is dictated by market forces.

I would like to agree to disagree with you. I believe that SDN developers command a premium, you do not.

I accept your position.

Warmest regards,

CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          ASP.NET MVC is going to pay the bills, pay the mortgage off, buy you a top of the range executive German car second hand Saab convertible, take the family on nice foreign holidays to Hemsby for the next 10 years. What's not to like. Money for old rope.

Personally, I'd forget the other stuff, stick with the good ole MS gravy train. Toot toot!
          FTFM
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

For any 'proper' coders - those who really enjoy getting down and dirty with programming - I reckon GPU coding is fascinating. I'd love to work in that area.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              For any 'proper' coders - those who really enjoy getting down and dirty with programming - I reckon GPU coding is fascinating. I'd love to work in that area.
              There is stuff out there if you know where to look.

There's a certain company that uses CUDA to do fancy stuff on optical fibre vibration analysis on pipelines and railway lines, they're not far from Farnborough, they have a Canadian parent...

For example...

Me, I'm just happy writing CUDA modules for GNURadio in my spare time.

Comment

Working...
              X