• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you got standard jack?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of the moaning about this is from people with very short memories. Less than a decade ago you'd be lucky to have a phone that could play standard MP3s, much less have a 3.5mm audio jack instead of having to use some kind of adapter. The jack tech is over a century old and it works, but don't be surprised to see it get binned.

Apple will no doubt drop USB on their computers next and people with USB-connected kit will need to use an adapter, just like they dumped their own FireWire connector. People complained, but they got on with it and enjoyed the higher speed connection of thunderbolt.

I don't know about anyone else, but I only switched to CDs in the late 80s because the music industry forced the issue by not issuing anything other than singles on vinyl. Apple is hardly alone in doing this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      A lot of the moaning about this is from people with very short memories. Less than a decade ago you'd be lucky to have a phone that could play standard MP3s, much less have a 3.5mm audio jack instead of having to use some kind of adapter. The jack tech is over a century old and it works, but don't be surprised to see it get binned.

Apple will no doubt drop USB on their computers next and people with USB-connected kit will need to use an adapter, just like they dumped their own FireWire connector. People complained, but they got on with it and enjoyed the higher speed connection of thunderbolt.

I don't know about anyone else, but I only switched to CDs in the late 80s because the music industry forced the issue by not issuing anything other than singles on vinyl. Apple is hardly alone in doing this kind of thing.
      I was still buying albums on vinyl in the early 90s. Must admin, most of my purchases were moving over on to CD at that point, but that was more to get away from cassettes than vinyl.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
        I don't know about anyone else, but I only switched to CDs in the late 80s, because Tomorrows World fooled me by making CDs look indestructible, when, in reality, they scratched far easier than vinyl and the sound was of a lot poorer quality
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I was still buying albums on vinyl in the early 90s. Must admin, most of my purchases were moving over on to CD at that point, but that was more to get away from cassettes than vinyl.
          It was becoming more difficult to find a lot of new releases in the format and the record shops in Northern California, where I was living, were just dumping the format completely. Not to mention the quality of vinyl by that time was so poor I often had to do multiple exhanges just to get a record that wasn't warped or stack coins on my phono needle to stop the goddam record from skipping.

Still, it was nice to make a profit on selling my Bowie vinyl after the Rykodisc CD releases were announced...

But seriously, Neil Young's ranting about audio quality is nonsense. Anyone old enough to remember hearing vinyl back in the day has lost so much of their hearing range they couldn't tell the difference between a 128mbps MP3 and vinyl, much less a CD and vinyl. And you know records have compression too - notice how the rings get smaller towards the centre ;-) ?

Comment

Working...
          X