• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone setup multihomed networking on WinXP?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone setup multihomed networking on WinXP?

Multihomed as in one PC with more than one network adapter linking to different subnets. I am having some routing problems with it

Yes, and it can be a pain in the arse. Try bridging. Check the MS website for documentation. It can get complicated, and it's flaky to say the least.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Ah Mordy old chap, should have asked you earlier since networking is your craft is not it?

I don't want to use bridging (it did not work either) - I dropped you a link with more details (ipconfig/route), maybe you will make sense out of it - I am certain this is due to routing, I know it can work because in my ex place it all worked, but I used Linux router there maybe it was smarter.

Comment

I'm a bit rusty on this but you should be able to do it using 'route add'.

eg route add <destination> <mask> <gateway> if <#>

Where <destination> is the subnet you want, <mask> is the net mask to use on that subnet, <gateway> is the gateway to use for that subnet and <#> is the interface number as shown with ipconfig.

e.g.

route ADD 192.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 192.0.0.1 IF 2

You can see your existing setup using 'route PRINT'

just type route at a command prompt for more info.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I need to know what exactly to add via route command, I PMed you link to more info about actual IPconfig/route information.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Ah Mordy old chap, should have asked you earlier since networking is your craft is not it?

I don't want to use bridging (it did not work either) - I dropped you a link with more details (ipconfig/route), maybe you will make sense out of it - I am certain this is due to routing, I know it can work because in my ex place it all worked, but I used Linux router there maybe it was smarter.
            Linux isn't my thing at all, but if it worked before maybe you ought to try that route.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I dont want to try that route because it would mean using extra box - the point is that it worked on the same Windows box that I use now, just before router connected to card #1 was Linux, now it is Barricade hardware, but even with direct connect it does not work - it is definately routing issue and it is 100% resolvable, just how?

Comment

Try this

Comment

Using Microsoft now hey. How the mighty have fallen.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Daywalker: this did not help because I think the issue is not routing between subnets per se - I dont want PC to be router, I just can't access it from card B when going from outside - I am forced to eliminate default gateways because this has got a funny side effect with windows switching one to another (only one active at the time) and this makes cards without it non-operable: a serious flaw if you ask me.

Thanks for the link anyway, going to read up on that site, the solution has got to be fairly simple, if you want to see more info on exact IPs/etc then I can PM you it.

Comment

Working...
                    X