• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Wifi in dead-zones at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I wasn't sure what this would do so I have 3 WiFi networks with differing names. Devices do flick from one to another but there is some 'stickiness' - they only seem to swap when one is really weak/lost.

How would same-name networks work, given that you can edit DNS settings, etc, per connection?
    If its is purely an Access Point I assume they will all be on the same LAN, same DNS, same DHCP
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      For those using WiFi extenders, if you set the SSID and password the same as the main router I assume it seamlessly moves from one to the other, however are devices smart enough to drop a weak connection for a stronger one where they over lap?
      That's how I've got my wifi homeplugs set up. All on the same SSID but each at different frequency. The change between them is seemless and, yes, my devices do automatically switch from a weaker signal to a stronger one.

I didn't set them all at the same frequency as I assumed they would conflict with each other. Perhaps something to try on another day.

Comment

Does the same SSID mean they both show up as one network in the OS?

I don't see why you need to do that. Surely the devices can switch between networks with different SSIDs.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Does the same SSID mean they both show up as one network in the OS?

I don't see why you need to do that. Surely the devices can switch between networks with different SSIDs.
          Yes.

Then you'd need to create entries for each network and password on each device. This is probably ok for just you or a few of devices. If you have guests, or many devices, it's a pain to keep all that maintained. One network, with one password, covering the whole property works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            Then you'd need to create entries for each network and password on each device. This is probably ok for just you or a few of devices. If you have guests, or many devices, it's a pain to keep all that maintained. One network, with one password, covering the whole property works just fine.
            So you set the same SSID and same password on each access point and it all works as one? That sounds like a happy accident - a design flaw that worked out for the better.

Anyone measured the speed over these power line devices? I've got a client PC to connect up that's going to be nowhere near the router, so I either need to buy it a WiFi card or get a pair of these. My other PC connects at 300Mb/s on WiFi - I'm not sure if powerline is going to be better or worse.

Comment

If its is purely an Access Point I assume they will all be on the same LAN, same DNS, same DHCP
              Ah. Mine set up a local WiFi on each plug rather than working as access points. At least I think they do. I'm not sure how they would communicate with the router that they're part of the same WiFi network although maybe they can - this is not my area at all
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Ah. Mine set up a local WiFi on each plug rather than working as access points. At least I think they do. I'm not sure how they would communicate with the router that they're part of the same WiFi network although maybe they can - this is not my area at all
                Turn of DHCP on all the local WiFi's, they should all connect back to the main router through the home plugs so this will handle everything for you, you will then have one network with multiple access points
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Anyone measured the speed over these power line devices? I've got a client PC to connect up that's going to be nowhere near the router, so I either need to buy it a WiFi card or get a pair of these. My other PC connects at 300Mb/s on WiFi - I'm not sure if powerline is going to be better or worse.
                  The software tool that came with my homeplugs (rated at up to 200mbps) reports a connection speed of anything from about 30mbps upto about 80mbps.

The speed will be dependant on the quality of the wiring, the distance, and the proximity to "noisy" devices. I've never tried to measure the actual speed across the network rather than that reported by the vendor tool.

See here for more information.

Comment

Turn of DHCP on all the local WiFi's, they should all connect back to the main router through the home plugs so this will handle everything for you, you will then have one network with multiple access points
                    Might look into that, thanks.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The answer is 324Mb/s, so about the same. That's from downstairs to upstairs so on a different ring - i.e via the fuse box which is what people always say is a problem.

Pretty good really.

Comment

Working...
                      X