• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compaq Presario Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Presario Laptop

Hey Peoples,

I do hope someone can help me as i am at my tether's end. I bought a compaq laptop last week and it came with win xp home pre installed. I need to have xp pro on the machine as i am a web developer and i need to have iis and other xp pro features. The drive is partitioned in 2 with one partition holding the system restore files and the other holding the o/s.

I have tried a clean install, upgrade, you name it but it keeps coming up with a blue error screen when ste up restarts the machine and wont go any further. PLEASE HELP!!!
    Who Moved The Cheese ??!!

What is the error message?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Its a blue scren that sayssomthing like" there was a hardware error and set up will not continue". it also says to run chdsk to fix the errors....sorry i cant give you the exact wording as i am at work and i dont have the machine with me.....Thanks

Comment

Maybe it needs drivers to access hardware (like the IDE/ATA subsystem, although more common for SCSI) at the start of installation? Also make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Comment

Its a brand new laptop and all software/drivers was updated from the HP/Compaq website the first time i switched it on and connected to the internet

Comment

Sounds like the partitioning got fecked somewhere down the line.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by olud
              Its a brand new laptop and all software/drivers was updated from the HP/Compaq website the first time i switched it on and connected to the internet
              send it back and buy a alienware/dell laptop
              whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Ooooo. Compaq Presario. I made the mistake of getting one of those from PC World then upgraded as I needed to run Internet Services on it for some development work.

All went to tulip after that. Turns out that certain drivers only worked with the pre-build, was never able to get the CD burner to work again. Shocking. Eventually restored it and bought a different machine.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by olud
                  Hey Peoples,

I do hope someone can help me as i am at my tether's end. I bought a compaq laptop last week and it came with win xp home pre installed. I need to have xp pro on the machine as i am a web developer and i need to have iis and other xp pro features. The drive is partitioned in 2 with one partition holding the system restore files and the other holding the o/s.

I have tried a clean install, upgrade, you name it but it keeps coming up with a blue error screen when ste up restarts the machine and wont go any further. PLEASE HELP!!!
                  I think your problem may be with the hidden system restore partition. It's looking for the OS files which aren't there any more - machines which are aimed at home users tend to have this *useful* feature, which is a pain in the arse if you want to replace the OS.
                  If you delete both partitions (you'll need a boot disk, try googling for Barts network disk) and repartition the disk, you should be able to get round it. You will then need a bootable XP Pro CD, which is quite easy to knock up.
                  Last edited by Mordac; 4 October 2006, 16:57.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                    Ooooo. Compaq Presario. I made the mistake of getting one of those from PC World
                    And you're still using AOL. No wonder you have to keep ringing me up for support...
                    I should start charging.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X