• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching wholesale from PC/Windows to Mac - Your experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only cure for new Apple malware is to trash your Mac | TechRadar
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Nowadays it's less and less relevant which OS are you using - you can do most stuff in a browser anyway.
      For me the winner about OS X is the command line, but frankly with Windows 10 just out it's a strange time to be switching. Win10 is a good enough system in my view and you can use it for a range of devices. I still use OS X on my laptop, by I might switch to linux or more likely Windows 10 on the next one as mac hardware is simply lacking in features.
      If you still want to switch, just keep the old machine up and running in a VM, just in case there is some exotic software that doesn't work on os x.

Comment

I bought a macbook pro 3 years ago and late last year replaced the windows machines that were scattered with the discounted mac minis when they were £350 or so.

The next purchase is probably going to be a macbook now the education back to school offer has began... As most of what I play with is internet explorer windows in a VM or remote desktop it will more than meet my needs..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          My reason for doing this is mainly to get rid of my huge PC tower (which supports 4 displays and has 6 drive bays) and basically shrink everything down
          You do realise that you can also get Windows PCs in small?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I started using a MBP in 2009 but used bootcamp to boot up into Windows 7. I found booting up into windows 7 rather than using a VM improved performance when developing. I like multiple monitors and had to jump through hoops to get multiple monitors working, ended up using a matrox box.

However, I found very little reason to use the mac os, I did try but there wasn't anything compelling for me. Windows 7 did everything I needed equally well or better. I don't care about the MS vs Apple crap and just want a decent development machine so I invested in a tower pc, quality hardware.

The only thing that would make me go back to a mac is if I wanted to seriously develop for it or the iphone/ipad.

Comment

Just seems to me to be an expensive (relatively) way of doing the same thing. If you are developing for Apple products, then fair enough.

I suppose it's like saying, "I want a new car". You could get a highly specced Kia for the price, or a bottom of the range BMW. How much is the shiny Apple logo worth to your ego?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Just seems to me to be an expensive (relatively) way of doing the same thing. If you are developing for Apple products, then fair enough.

I suppose it's like saying, "I want a new car". You could get a highly specced Kia for the price, or a bottom of the range BMW. How much is the shiny Apple logo worth to your ego?
                But a Kia is worth peanuts after a couple of years, the BMW will still have snob appeal and sell for more on the second hand market.

A mac is the same, yes it costs more but its resale value is also more. The actual cost of owning a mac is probably the same as a decent other brand laptop if you can actually find a decent well built one...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  But a Kia is worth peanuts after a couple of years, the BMW will still have snob appeal and sell for more on the second hand market.

A mac is the same, yes it costs more but its resale value is also more. The actual cost of owning a mac is probably the same as a decent other brand laptop if you can actually find a decent well built one...
                  Do people here often sell on their old pc/macs? I've always found a use for them.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Do people here often sell on their old pc/macs? I've always found a use for them.
                    Not usually. This macbook retina is still worth about £800 though so I will probably sell it rather than have the twins fight over it....

Comment

More and more I'm using a dedicated server as my "PC" with any old laptop to remote desktop onto it.

For example:

https://contabo.com/?show=configurator&server_id=331

Six core i7 (12 with HT) with 24GB RAM and SSD for 70 Euros per month (pay monthly). I put my own OS on it.

When I need a better one, I move to a higher spec.

Comment

Working...
                      X