• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching wholesale from PC/Windows to Mac - Your experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    You're all set then

ls -l /usr/bin/vi
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3 18 Oct 2014 /usr/bin/vi -> vim
    The buggers!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      More and more I'm using a dedicated server as my "PC" with any old laptop to remote desktop onto it.
      I've been doing that for several years now and it's pretty damn handy when you are working out of several locations.

For example:

https://contabo.com/?show=configurator&server_id=331

Six core i7 (12 with HT) with 24GB RAM and SSD for 70 Euros per month (pay monthly). I put my own OS on it.

When I need a better one, I move to a higher spec.
      Bookmarked, ta.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
        I have just purchased an intel i7, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD from here - Linky
        Only half the price of the Mac mini

Seriously, I don't feel too bad about getting the Mac now.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Only half the price of the Mac mini

Seriously, I don't feel too bad about getting the Mac now.
          Well if lining the pockets of the most proprietary, control freakery, wealthiest corporation on the planet makes you happy, well done you!

Comment

Well if lining the pockets of the most proprietary, control freakery, wealthiest corporation on the planet makes you happy, well done you!

You mean Intel? I don't think I had a choice.

Comment

I had to get a new laptop about 4 years ago and out of curiosity and with some trepidation I got a Macbook. By the end of the weekend I knew I'd never go back.

Since the laptop I was replacing was a Thinkpad (a real one) I compared the Mac to a Thinkpad or an Elitebook, not to a Tesco cheapie, so I didn't find it expensive.

Comment

You can do that with a modern Linux distro on an old laptop for nowt.
                That's such a far cry from having a *nix command line where your data is that it's not a sensible way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Since the laptop I was replacing was a Thinkpad (a real one) I compared the Mac to a Thinkpad or an Elitebook, not to a Tesco cheapie, so I didn't find it expensive.
                  This.

Comment

You can do that with a modern Linux distro on an old laptop for nowt.
                    And Bash is available for Windows anyway...

Boo

Comment

I bought the new MBP a few months ago when my Sony Vaio Ultrabook died on me.
                      It being the only i7 16GB ultrabook out there, being expensive enough to claim back VAT and me wanting to try out what this Mac hype was all about made me go for it.

I still prefer Windows and have to run it for Visual Studio & SSMS. W10 preview has been behaving on Parallels.

Love the track pad (why haven't other manufacturers been able to copy it???) and find OS X ok to use although I do miss the Del, Home and End keys!
                      I've found OS X to be a lot more unstable than Windows, crashing every 3-4 weeks or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X