• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL query and reports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL query and reports

Hi Clever People,

can anyone help

We have an audit table within one of our systems which looks like

InvoiceNumber Date EmployeeID AuditTypeID Details
    M12345 07/05/2010 0 4 Invoice Printed
    M12345 09/03/2010 0 5 Payment Received £116.00
    M12345 24/06/2010 0 5 Payment Received £462.00
    M12345 10/06/2010 0 11 Letter 1 sent

However I want to write a report which then makes the items appear in a row such as that each invoice number has only 1 row with the various audit items going horizontally

Using report builder 3 to generate the reports

Anyone any ideas?

TIA

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Hi Clever People,

can anyone help

However I want to write a report which then makes the items appear in a row such as that each invoice number has only 1 row with the various audit items going horizontally

Anyone any ideas?

TIA
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd220467.aspx shows you how to create a stepped report which would give you something like

M12345
    07/05/2010 0 4 Invoice Printed
    09/03/2010 0 5 Payment Received £116.00
    24/06/2010 0 5 Payment Received £462.00
    10/06/2010 0 11 Letter 1 sent

I'm not sure how you merge detail rows to appear on a single row though...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd220467.aspx shows you how to create a stepped report which would give you something like

M12345
      07/05/2010 0 4 Invoice Printed
      09/03/2010 0 5 Payment Received £116.00
      24/06/2010 0 5 Payment Received £462.00
      10/06/2010 0 11 Letter 1 sent

I'm not sure how you merge detail rows to appear on a single row though...
      Try this if you can do some Unix to the output in a file...

tr '\r\n' ' ' < origfile > newfile
      Last edited by stek; 17 June 2015, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Could you sed it in Unix to remove the CR's?
        you could just send it to another windows program. I just don't know enough about SSRS to say how to do it within Report Builder itself....

Comment

That sounds like a transposition.
          You can do it in a stored procedure if you can program, or dump a basic report to Excel and transpose there.
          Either way, I wouldn't recommend that format, because you don't know how many columns or length of data you're going to need to join together. You might run out of space to properly view it (if you know what I mean).
          You might be beter off using a basic grouping function, which would group by invoice id, then have a date sorted sub-row for each of the audit details against that invoice.
          This would probably be better because you could then quickly duplicate that report, changing it to group instead by date or account, or employee. Providing you with the differing views you might want to see if you were investigating fraud.
          Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
            That sounds like a transposition.
            You can do it in a stored procedure if you can program, or dump a basic report to Excel and transpose there.
            Either way, I wouldn't recommend that format, because you don't know how many columns or length of data you're going to need to join together. You might run out of space to properly view it (if you know what I mean).
            You might be beter off using a basic grouping function, which would group by invoice id, then have a date sorted sub-row for each of the audit details against that invoice.
            This would probably be better because you could then quickly duplicate that report, changing it to group instead by date or account, or employee. Providing you with the differing views you might want to see if you were investigating fraud.
            So basically a Step Report....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              So basically a Step Report....
              I don't know what the Microsoft gui tools like to call it, but it sounds like they are one and the same.
              Didn't MS Access have something similar for reporting with a "Group By"?
              Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Not sure I've used report builder before. But a simple group by query should give you the result you desire.

Grouping by the invoice number, date and then audit item should give you the result you require. Straight forward group by query then throw that into your report

Might be worth putting an example of how you want the result set to look. Into a spreadsheet and posting a screenshot on here. Should be able to give you some more advice - should you still require it of course.
                Last edited by DanielSQL; 22 June 2015, 07:08.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Hi Clever People,

can anyone help

Anyone any ideas?

TIA
                  Can you be more specific on how you want your output to look?

The solution may vary - i.e. you could cobble together a little function to concatenate date and details or something similar.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Can you be more specific on how you want your output to look?

The solution may vary - i.e. you could cobble together a little function to concatenate date and details or something similar.
                    It doesn't matter now, the budget has caused him to go permie.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X