• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More linux lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More linux lies

I am really starting to absolutely despise Linux land.

Latest problem is I need to compile a program called virt-viewer. The reason is that the cretins that wrote it decided to leave USB support out of the main build. So if you want to use this software, with USB support you have to build a full develpment OS and recompile from source.

So I have now Fedora with MingW installed, got the source from github.

Then I have to configure the install with my options. Just keep it basic for now.

Code:
    mingw64-configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --with-gtk=2.0
    Says it completed without errors.

Then I need to do

Code:
    ming64Wmake
    Pages and pages of linker errors

An excerpt

07: undefined reference to `g_strv_length'
    /home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src/virt-viewer-main.c:108: undefined reference to `libintl_gettext'
    /home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src/virt-viewer-main.c:108: undefined reference to `g_printerr'
    /home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src/virt-viewer-main.c:116: undefined reference to `g_type_check_instance_cast'
    /home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src/virt-viewer-main.c:125: undefined reference to `g_object_unref'
    /home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src/virt-viewer-main.c:119: undefined reference to `gtk_main'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[3]: *** [virt-viewer.exe] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/charlie/Downloads/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-master'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Now as this is "toytown" as Stek puts it, naturally there is no documentation that I can unearth. Just scraps of people saying
    Works for me, I just stood on one leg and pressed enter and it compiled

Anyone ever experienced trying to compile virt-viewer from github, or something using GTK2 that had the same or similar issues?

Absolutely fed up with this now.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Well if you have Fedora why didn't you just:

# yum install virt-manager

Like I just did? Why do you need to compile it?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Because he is a
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Because there is no yum for Windows 7.

HTH

Comment

And even if there were this still wouldn't install virt-viewer now would it?

Comment

He said it was because USB support is not compiled into the package managers binary. Did you add the corrct linker options i.e. -lintl?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              He said it was because USB support is not compiled into the package managers binary. Did you add the corrct linker options i.e. -lintl?
              Thank you unix. Linker options is where I am currently investigating. I think I need to link GTK2 and GTK-SPICE also.

Although no mention of that here :

Camltastic!: MinGW: Compile software for Windows without leaving your Fedora machine

It reads like the ./configure script does the linking for you.

Or not ........

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Thank you unix. Linker options is where I am currently investigating. I think I need to link GTK2 and GTK-SPICE also.

Although no mention of that here :

Camltastic!: MinGW: Compile software for Windows without leaving your Fedora machine

It reads like the ./configure script does the linking for you.

Or not ........
                Ah it's Mingw sorry never used that, only real Linux

Comment

Sounds about right. I spent ages the other day trying to install Chrome into the Linux Mint VM I had, which surely should have been trivial - any reasonable person would think so. But the package had various dependencies that no longer existed on Ubuntu's servers, so I had to go googling for each one and download and install myself. Apparently I had a Linux install that wasn't a Long Term Support version, but how the **** was I meant to know that? All I did was go to linuxmint.com and install the latest. I didn't expect it to stop working a year or so later.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

So I have now Fedora with MingW installed, got the source from github.
                    Because there is no yum for Windows 7.

HTH
                    You need to be just a little bit more precise old chap...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X