• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding up Firefox by ad blocking and video suppression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding up Firefox by ad blocking and video suppression

Firefox on a couple of my PCs is often hellishly slow, and sometimes freezes for 30 seconds at a time.

I'm pretty sure I don't have memory problems, a slow connection, or any genuine malware (although some of Adobe's products are not far short of that!)

I think the delays are mostly if not entirely caused by accessing multiple ad sites and downloading videos that festoon some pages

So I would like apps or techniques to:

* block ads

* prevent the downloading and/or playing of videos unless I ask

Any ideas? I'm sure this problem must afflict many people.

(Apologies if the same question was asked here only last week or something - I haven't checked.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

https://adblockplus.org/
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      What he said, there's a few of these types of products about, they seem to work pretty well.

Comment

I tend to use Chrome these days which I find faster than FF

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          I tend to use Chrome these days which I find faster than FF
          Same here and I use adblocking plugins on that too.

Comment

I use uBlock Origin for Chrome supposed to be cpu and memory efficient.

Comment

Working...
            X