• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private Email Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Email Recommendations

I've been meaning to migrate away from Google's ecosystem for a while now. I'm looking at Runbox and StartMail for alternative, private email systems. I note that Runbox also offers secure file storage and domains, which will be really handy, but their UI looks like MS Outlook 2003.

Any recommendations or experiences using a private email account?

P

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    I've been meaning to migrate away from Google's ecosystem for a while now. I'm looking at Runbox and StartMail for alternative, private email systems. I note that Runbox also offers secure file storage and domains, which will be really handy, but their UI looks like MS Outlook 2003.

Any recommendations or experiences using a private email account?

P
    Try Apple's iCloud - free for basic version but you can pay for more storage but it's pretty expensive. I know i'm a fanboi but take a look, at least you'll know you'll get a decent UI....

Comment

I assume you're with Google Apps for Work? I'm surprised you don't like it; I moved my domain across recently, and I'm pretty happy so far, in terms of useability, and the cost is minimal.

Comment

Slight misunderstanding

Ah, thanks for the reply, guys. My fault I should have been clearer about what I'm after. I mean 'Private' as in email servers not located in the US, fully standard-encrypted storage, etc. (e.g. see https://www.startmail.com/#section-features for what these kinds of email systems offer that Google et al do not).

I have a personal gmail account and two google apps accounts, and I've been happy with them, but privacy and protection for me is more important than 'free' services.

Runbox seems to be the going favourite, would be great to see if anyone around here uses it, or the like.

P

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
          but privacy and protection for me is more important than 'free' services.
          Are you a spy or a terrorist?
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
            Are you a spy or a terrorist?
            Serious answers only, please.

Comment

██████ everything ███ █████ is ██ ████ fine ██████ trust █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You are aware that it is the meta data that is important. While they may not know the content of your email to ISIS they know you've emailed ISIS.

All they then need to do is ask you for your private key which legally you have to hand over..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Also an encrypted mailbox means jack tulip, when NSA and the like can intercept your message in transit or at the source server.

And if you are so paranoid, have you consider the possibility that many of the so called secure e-mail services are honey traps set by the NSA, FBI etc.?

Comment

Also while the MTA might be in one country, the stored mail might be in another....

Comment

Working...
                    X