• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3D Printers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Printers

Anyone any insight/opinions?

I was think of getting one as I used to be a bit of modeller in the past, railways mainly, scratch builder, must admit I fancy dabbling again, if it is possible to draw a component, say a smokebox or cylinder steam chest in CAD, and just print it.

I've done a bit of research, first the printers, the decent ones, are expensive, another is really how the process works, basically it just layers melted plastic with a heat gun on top of the previous layer till done. And you can see the layer lines and it looks odd, no doubt you'll need to use some other process to smooth them out.

Possible Plan B? If I can think of anything to print on it of any use.....

Actually it's a crap idea, move on, nothing to see here........

Here you go

'Dildo Generator' Lets You 3D Print Your Own, Personalized Sex Toy | Motherboard

The layer lines might be a plus.

Edit: Ooops, sorry mods - hadn't noticed this was in prof.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Here you go

'Dildo Generator' Lets You 3D Print Your Own, Personalized Sex Toy | Motherboard

The layer lines might be a plus.

Edit: Ooops, sorry mods - hadn't noticed this was in prof.
      Jesus Christ, I was thinking of modelling a narrow gauge Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway Hudswell-Clarke 4-8-4 Tank, not a copy of my personal organ. No use anyway, the printer I was looking at only does up to foot.

Coooorrrr!

Last edited by stek; 26 December 2014, 19:44.

Comment

A 3d printer is just the sort of thing I'd really like to play with, but I'm put off by the software requirements.
        I'm a softie, do embedded c, python, ADA, even electronics hardware, but I've never used any 3d modelling packages and I don't want to just print stuff off the web.
        So quite a learning curve there I suppose.......

Comment

Off the web? Hackers might have interfered with it. You might think you are printing off a model train but maybe it will turn out to be a personal organ after all, or a loaded gun which shoots you.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Actually done more research - 3D printer is naff. Plastic?

CNC 'puter controlled lathe and milling machine is better - proper metal, and cheaper.

1600 quid all in, just the learning curve which is same for both, and i'm not noob on this so let's see.....

Comment

Working...
            X