• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones

Not having looked into these before, would appreciate pointers as to what technical details to look for.

Suggestions as to particular models and why / why not suitable also welcomed.

These will be for home use, mainly listening to music.

TIA
    Last edited by Sysman; 12 December 2014, 23:16.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

What's your budget?

Comment

I was thinking of £200-250 but it doesn't have to be so much of course.

E.g. These at £269.95 including VAT (my VAT's less, so these come within the budget).

Comment

I have the Bose ones after seeing so many people wearing them, and they really are great!

These ones I guess
        https://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-an...25-headphones/

Bought mine in 2011

Great for long haul flights. These days I might consider some in-ear ones, as the Bose have sometimes been left at home when handbaggage has been jammed full, and my laptop bag doesn't have space for them so I don't take them on the train.

EDIT: Oh I see you're looking at the exact Bose one I linked to. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          I was thinking of £200-250 but it doesn't have to be so much of course.

E.g. These at £269.95 including VAT (my VAT's less, so these come within the budget).
          I have the older model and use them for flying and for on the train - they do the job well enough.

Not so comfy to fall asleep wearing them, though, and I do fins that sometimes they get too hot.

I'd still recommend them though.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation.

Ordered.

Comment

Blimey that's a lot of money for some Walkman Headphones

I've never looked into high-end headphones - my £30 Sennheiser 202s are such a dramatic improvement over chepo earphones - is the noise cancelling active in some way or are they just very well insulated?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Blimey that's a lot of money for some Walkman Headphones

I've never looked into high-end headphones - my £30 Sennheiser 202s are such a dramatic improvement over chepo earphones - is the noise cancelling active in some way or are they just very well insulated?
                Noise cancelling is active. The well-insulated ones are noise-isolating.

Comment

I have the Bose quite comfort 20i In ear for over a year, no more airplane noises, I can go into a pub with pound music , switch mine on and not hear anything but my own music

Best pressie I've ever got myself

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Noise cancelling is active. The well-insulated ones are noise-isolating.
                    Thanks. Partially explains the cost then I suppose!

Forgive my ignorance but do they have to be plugged into something or can you wear them to enable the active sound cancelling functionality on its own, just to get silence without having to play music?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X