• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MBP: dual vs quad core

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBP: dual vs quad core

Trying to decide between the 13" and 15" MBP. I really want to go for the 13" for portability (i will be lugging it around a fair bit), but the one thing I'm hesitating on is that the 13" comes with dual-core vs the 15" quad-core. I'll get 16gb ram on either model.

I will occasionally be running some VMs on it (one or two Linux based VMs), and not overly intensive. A quick search appears to show that the 13" should cope with this no problem.

Any personal experiences out there of running VMs on a 13" dual-core MBP ?!

You should be fine mate - I've just purchased a 13" MBP (basic spec - no upgrades on RAM, CPU or SSD) and although I don't plan to do any serious dev on it I suspect a couple of VMs should be catered for just fine (depending on how much memory you allocate to each VM, of course).

Comment

I have a 2011 MBP with the 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and have had no problem running VM, if you have some extra money I would recommend an SSD over the stock HDD as IMO that will give you a bigger bang for your buck than upping the CPU
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm getting the 13" MBP with the 3ghz i7 cpu, 16gb ram, 512SSD option - so I should be good to go !

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
          Thanks for the confirmation. I'm getting the 13" MBP with the 3ghz i7 cpu, 16gb ram, 512SSD option - so I should be good to go !
          That 3GHz CPU is a monster. Makes my puny 1.4GHz Air envious.
          ...but the top end Macbook Air boosts to 3.3GHz, this MBP boosts to 3.5GHz.
          Other than than basically same CPU.
          I'm a bit hesitant to mess with your head at htis point but Macbook Air is a much more portable proposition, with basically the same spec.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            That 3GHz CPU is a monster. Makes my puny 1.4GHz Air envious.
            ...but the top end Macbook Air boosts to 3.3GHz, this MBP boosts to 3.5GHz.
            Other than than basically same CPU.
            I'm a bit hesitant to mess with your head at htis point but Macbook Air is a much more portable proposition, with basically the same spec.
            I'm waiting for the macbook retina (and probably the iphone 6s plus) and then replacing this macbook retina 15...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I'm waiting for the macbook retina (and probably the iphone 6s plus) and then replacing this macbook retina 15...
              My MBP is approaching 4 years old, still runs like a dream, but if the teased MacBook Air with Retina appears I will be jumping, unless its a 12" chassis rather than the current 13"

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                Thankfully the MBP has already been ordered, so I can't be dithering about which one to get any more, but appreciate the advice. I went to the store and felt up the 13" & 15" MBP, and am pretty happy with the 13" - I didn't pick up the Air though !

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  My MBP is approaching 4 years old, still runs like a dream, but if the teased MacBook Air with Retina appears I will be jumping, unless its a 12" chassis rather than the current 13"
                  I will be happy with a 12" screen. It would be nice to be back to the size of my old vaio z505...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I will be happy with a 12" screen. It would be nice to be back to the size of my old vaio z505...
                    I use my MBP for ClientsCo, so anything less than 13" inch and it starts to get unproductive

Comment

Working...
                    X