• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use clientco laptop as a proxy... sort of?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use clientco laptop as a proxy... sort of?

I have a clientco provided laptop which has the usual VPN software on it for accessing the clientco network whereever I am. When I'm WFH (about 90% of the time) I find it convenient to use my own multi-screen computer for clientco work. So I installed the clientco VPN client on it, it connects to clientco network and hey presto all is well, and has been for several years. Clientco has now started checking that devices which connect to its network are "registered" with its asset management system and of course my own PC is not. In order to register my own device, I'd need to install a load of clientco crapware on it which I'm not willing to do.

So... anyone know if I could use the clientco laptop as a proxy, whereby my home PC routes all traffic through the clientco VPN, thereby avoiding connecting directly? It'd need to be easy to switch this on and off, since I only use my own PC to connect every now and again.

Ideas/suggestions appreciated, TIA.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I have a clientco provided laptop which has the usual VPN software on it for accessing the clientco network whereever I am. When I'm WFH (about 90% of the time) I find it convenient to use my own multi-screen computer for clientco work. So I installed the clientco VPN client on it, it connects to clientco network and hey presto all is well, and has been for several years. Clientco has now started checking that devices which connect to its network are "registered" with its asset management system and of course my own PC is not. In order to register my own device, I'd need to install a load of clientco crapware on it which I'm not willing to do.

So... anyone know if I could use the clientco laptop as a proxy, whereby my home PC routes all traffic through the clientco VPN, thereby avoiding connecting directly? It'd need to be easy to switch this on and off, since I only use my own PC to connect every now and again.

Ideas/suggestions appreciated, TIA.
    You could enable remote desktop on the work lappy - and just RDP to it from your home PC in a window. Not ideal but would solve your issue.

Comment

I know this isn't answering your question... There's probably a 100 different reasons why ClientCo don't want unregistered kit on their network and if you signed any sort of IT security agreement when you started you're probably breaching it.

Why can't you use the Laptop they've given you. It may not be up to the same spec as your own kit but it's better than getting binned for breaching contracts IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        You could enable remote desktop on the work lappy - and just RDP to it from your home PC in a window. Not ideal but would solve your issue.
        ^ Both V

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        I know this isn't answering your question... There's probably a 100 different reasons why ClientCo don't want unregistered kit on their network and if you signed any sort of IT security agreement when you started you're probably breaching it.

Why can't you use the Laptop they've given you. It may not be up to the same spec as your own kit but it's better than getting binned for breaching contracts IMHO.

Comment

I *do* use remote desktop to get a larger screen view of the lappy. But by connecting my own PC I get multiple monitors, which the lappy doesn't support.

I agree, not worth getting binned over this. My auto-generated "FYI" email also contains a threat to involve my manager if the issue is left unresolved

ClientCo's productivity prevention department is working well, as usual

Comment

When you are creating the RDP there is a tick box in the "Display" tab "Use all my monitors for the remote session" that will allow you to use multiple displays when connecting to the laptop. Have you tried that?

That doesn't work on XP, but if you are running XP on either your PC or the ClientCo Laptop you have much bigger problems, than lacking multi display.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              When you are creating the RDP there is a tick box in the "Display" tab "Use all my monitors for the remote session" that will allow you to use multiple displays when connecting to the laptop. Have you tried that?

That doesn't work on XP, but if you are running XP on either your PC or the ClientCo Laptop you have much bigger problems, than lacking multi display.
              Oh ta, let me look into that !

EDIT: very nice, all working, thanks! I've been using a remote tool called RADMIN which I must say I'm very pleased with but it doesn't have a multi-screen option. I've never used RDP until just now.
              Last edited by Platypus; 31 October 2014, 14:22.

Comment

Working...
              X