• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long to upgrade to fibre?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    What? Its fibre from the exchange to your nearest cabinet. Then its copper or aluminium from cabinet to your home. In most cases the distance from exchange to cabinet will be greater than cabinet to home. If your FTTC cabinet is more than 1km away, you'll hardly see any benefit of fibre because the 1km of copper \ aluminium degrades the advantage of fibre.

FTTH\P is costly because they have to lay fibre to your home (except if you are new build where FTTP\H is tending to be the norm).
    Exchange to house is approx 1mile. Cabinet to house = 500m, not bothered to get fibre yet wait until next house. Think there may be a closer cabinet, can you choose which one?

Is there a map showing location of these cabs?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Exchange to house is approx 1mile. Cabinet to house = 500m, not bothered to get fibre yet wait until next house. Think there may be a closer cabinet, can you choose which one?

Is there a map showing location of these cabs?

qh
      Unfortunately no, you cannot choose (sp?) your cabinet. There's a newer one closer to me than the one Im wired up to which is frustrating.

My cabinet is about 600 metres away. As a cautionary tale, I was getting average DL speed of 54Mb. In the last 5 months I've somehow 'lost' 6Mb DL speed. BT will do diddly squat because they say Im over 30Mb which is in line with my line's profile!

This site will tell you your cabinet number used by your line and potential speeds.

There used to be a website that helped you locate your cabinet but BT made the guy take it down! So now you have to use Google StreetView and walk around your local streets to find 'your' cabinet. It should have the number painted on it.

As I said though, with FTTC the distance from exchange to cabinet is immaterial. Its the distance from cabinet to your home which is the determining factor of your DL speed. The shorter this distance, the faster your DL.

Bear in mind if you buy a house within spitting distance of the exchange, you probably wont get fibre because your copper line will likely be wired direct into the exchange. Im not aware of BT having plans to fix this anomoly!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Unfortunately no, you cannot choose (sp?) your cabinet. There's a newer one closer to me than the one Im wired up to which is frustrating.

My cabinet is about 600 metres away. As a cautionary tale, I was getting average DL speed of 54Mb. In the last 5 months I've somehow 'lost' 6Mb DL speed. BT will do diddly squat because they say Im over 30Mb which is in line with my line's profile!

This site will tell you your cabinet number used by your line and potential speeds.

There used to be a website that helped you locate your cabinet but BT made the guy take it down! So now you have to use Google StreetView and walk around your local streets to find 'your' cabinet. It should have the number painted on it.

As I said though, with FTTC the distance from exchange to cabinet is immaterial. Its the distance from cabinet to your home which is the determining factor of your DL speed. The shorter this distance, the faster your DL.

Bear in mind if you buy a house within spitting distance of the exchange, you probably wont get fibre because your copper line will likely be wired direct into the exchange. Im not aware of BT having plans to fix this anomoly!
        My parents in Scotland lived over the road from the exchange, (before Fibre) and the speed was appalling, well done virgin!

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
        X