• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Linux for Microserver?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put ESXi version on and you can run all the rest simultaneously .👅
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      All IIRC and 4.2 is well old!
      AIX 4.2 was the prevailing version last time I programmed and sysadmin'ed in anger on AIX.

I guess that makes me well old too

Comment

I wouldn't bother with Webadmin if the intention is to get down to the nitty gritty and learn stuff. But then personally I wouldn't bother with Webadmin at all, so there is some bias there.

Presumably you have some version of Windows installed as main desktop/laptop system. In that case PuTTY will get you SSH access to the Linux box. So now you can login to get a command line window.

Google for a command line cheat sheet. It's worth becoming familiar with Bash's key binding, living with the Bash command line is a whole different experience to DOS/Windows once you know the various shortcuts.

Next you need a way to edit config files. 'nano' should be installed by default and is simple enough to get any fool into and out of trouble. There are other editors that will run in a console of course.

If you want to get all pointy clicky and wysiwyg, then yes an X Server running locally may be required, which could be an adventure in itself. Alternatively use a Windows editor and then SCP or FTP for file transfer to/from the Linux box. Some editors have this built in or you can use WinSCP separately.

Comment

Bash is for pouffs! all that fancy backspacing and arrows working....

Korn shell is for real men, login then;

stty erase ^?

set -o vi

and than the command line works like vi.

Oh, and learn vi.

:wq!

Comment

Oh yes, command line in vi mode.

Editor wars ...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...ml#post1657627

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              set -o vi

and than the command line works like vi.

Oh, and learn vi.

:wq!
              Vim rather than vi, but Vimium, the hacker's browser

Vimium is a Google Chrome extension which provides keyboard shortcuts for navigation and control in the spirit of the Vim editor.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Vim rather than vi, but Vimium, the hacker's browser
                Rules of Unix...

Never change root's shell....

Never rely on anything that's not there in single user (i.e. dynamically linked) or from CD/DVD boot (same applies)...

Comment

£30 cashback supposedly available so if you want one and you are quick it will cost £99.99
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    £30 cashback supposedly available so if you want one and you are quick it will cost £99.99
                    A definite bargain I love my HP Microserver, it's worth it's weight in gold
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X