• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless Switch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Switch?

With so much stuff behind the telly these days I was thinking about getting a "wireless switch" i.e. a switch with 4-8 ports that will join itself to my wireless network, thereby obviating the need for a wired connection to it, while it provides wired connections to all the nearby kit.

I'm not quite sure what to search for, if such a thing exists. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    With so much stuff behind the telly these days I was thinking about getting a "wireless switch" i.e. a switch with 4-8 ports that will join itself to my wireless network, thereby obviating the need for a wired connection to it, while it provides wired connections to all the nearby kit.

I'm not quite sure what to search for, if such a thing exists. Any ideas?
    The device you want is called a Wireless Access Point. Commonly available and not expensive.

If you have an old wireless broadband router lying around these can usually be configured to act in the way you want as well.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You can use "most" wireless routers and put them into "repeater" or "bridge" mode.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router, which is my primary Wireless router, in place of the Sky SR101 and it can do repeater mode for the wireless as well as act as a Bridge for the wired connections.

There are cheaper solutions than using this particular one.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

You need a bridge. I have one made by Buffalo. Quite expensive really. You might be better of just getting a second-hand router and running it in bridge mode.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          The device you want is called a Wireless Access Point. Commonly available and not expensive.
          Not by my definition. A WAP has a hard wire to the core network through which it provides wireless devices a way in. Hence the name, wireless access point.

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          You can use "most" wireless routers and put them into "repeater" or "bridge" mode.
          Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          You need a bridge. I have one made by Buffalo. Quite expensive really. You might be better of just getting a second-hand router and running it in bridge mode.
          A wireless bridge! That's the one. Ta!

EDIT:
          Blimey, only £17 !!!
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-CV-74...ireless+bridge
          Last edited by Platypus; 22 August 2014, 11:51.

Comment

Not by my definition. A WAP has a hard wire to the core network through which it provides wireless devices a way in. Hence the name, wireless access point.

EDIT:
            Blimey, only £17 !!!
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-CV-74...ireless+bridge
            wow! aweswom deal. I might change mine over because my ancient buffalo doesn't support the higher wifi encryption. And the config cd doesn't work on Vista and higher.
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

EDIT:
              Blimey, only £17 !!!
              Edimax CV-7428NS N300 Universal Wi-Fi Bridge for Smart TV, Blu-ray and Gaming: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
              Its only 100mbps - I think that you would be better off paying more and buying one that supports Gigabit...?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Its only 100mbps - I think that you would be better off paying more and buying one that supports Gigabit...?
                If you are transferring data between computers, yes. But as most are surfing the web with a top speed on average around 8-10mbps, why bother?

Comment

Judging by Platypus's other posts, he is running a NAS device at home, implying some file transfers / streaming which would require higher SUSTAINED rates? Gigabit has been the standard for some time now, hence the price of 100mbps kit.

Bit of futureproofing, I guess?

Comment

I thought wireless-n was max 300mbps only... or is there some new booster tech now available?
                    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                    X