• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new NAS

So - my QNAP TS409 Pro looks like it may have died (lost all config including the RAID) It is 6 years old - so not sure I can complain really. But - what would people suggest as a replacement? I had 2TB storage on it - which seemed a lot at the time - would like to be able to connect to esxi and hyper-v as well, and back up Windows machines, etc. Probably about 8-10Tb storage after RAID

Originally posted by dmini View Post
    So - my QNAP TS409 Pro looks like it may have died (lost all config including the RAID) It is 6 years old - so not sure I can complain really. But - what would people suggest as a replacement? I had 2TB storage on it - which seemed a lot at the time - would like to be able to connect to esxi and hyper-v as well, and back up Windows machines, etc. Probably about 8-10Tb storage after RAID
    I've got an HP N54L Microserver which are available on HP's website for £114 excl VAT see here. 4 off 3GB hard drives, a splash of extra RAM maybe plus a download of FreeNAS or NAS4Free and you're away...

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      I've got an HP N54L Microserver which are available on HP's website for £114 excl VAT see here. 4 off 3GB hard drives, a splash of extra RAM maybe plus a download of FreeNAS or NAS4Free and you're away...
      This HW, but with unRAID and 4 x 4TB drives. Very happy with it

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post

Boo
        This with 5x4TB drives running RAID-Z (RAID-5) under FreeNAS. I'm in the process of setting up multiple VMs inside ESXi which will talk iSCSI to it.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          This HW, but with unRAID and 4 x 4TB drives. Very happy with it
          I've persevered with the IBM DS3400, now has 24TB, the disks sought over time due to being dear and hard to find (dual-port SATA), it's fibre only, but I'm an uber-geek so doesn't worry me, hooked up to T5240 and and X4450 which I power up when needed. Also connected to my Xserve for VPN, and a T5220 because it uses so little power. All can be powered up/down remotely apart from the DS3400 which I have on IP power anyway.

DS3400 sits at 200w, lot more than the NAS's etc but I remain convinced it's worth it, disks don't spin up/down, sure that helps prolong their lives, previous QNAP TS412 blew two 2TB's in 3 years) - disk access is as fast as locally attached (tested it!) - perfect for me...

Have an EXP3000 expansion shelf too, can go up to 48TB. Not going to though!

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            This with 5x4TB drives running RAID-Z (RAID-5) under FreeNAS. I'm in the process of setting up multiple VMs inside ESXi which will talk iSCSI to it.
            Ditto except running 4 x 4TB Hybrid drives. 16GB RAM and 3 Gigabit connections. Same purpose.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Is the board dead or just the disc(s)? I would tend to try and see if I can image over the boot disk to a new one. And then work from there. If it's the board, 6 years seems a bit crap to me. I've got a machine here that's over 12 years old still running.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
                Hi,
                Did you use it as a Home Server or for Work?
                If it was for work I can understand RAID. But for Home, there is no point. Sure you get the speed, but you also have the problem that if the motherboard fails you need the exact or near enough one to get the data back. Which I suspect is your problem.

For speed if your a Home user get one drive as an SSD for putting all your critical data on that needs speed. For most home users most of the time, most data is never archived.

Also while QNAP is expensive, they have lots of tools the other NAS'e are short on, a massive community and of course their own in house support. So, in that sense whatever you are trying to do, someone will have done it before most often.

I would upgrade to an Intel based QNAP (as it can run more apps on Intel architecture), then if you get the correct one you can upgrade the memory to 4GB. Then get some of those new 6GB drives, this should give you plenty of space before the next upgrade many years later.

But this comes all at a cost of course.

Comment

Working...
                X