• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jumping ship from the world of permanence"

Collapse

• captainham
    replied
    Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    There's an expectation that you'll hit the ground running, and be solidly capable of doing what the role requires.
    Whilst this was always my expectation of what a contractor should be (back in my permie days), the reality was often quite the opposite and was one of the key reasons why I decided to give up permiedom.

Running a team of several contractors as a much lower-paid permie and having do a lot of their work for them, does get very annoying before too long.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    There's an expectation that you'll hit the ground running, and be solidly capable of doing what the role requires.
    Should I quit then? Or are you the guy who writes all the role descriptions I see online

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    is there an expectation that when you're on a day rate you're infallible?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Good luck - I did the same thing in March. I spent months reading and thinking, but so far it's working out to be one of the best moves I've ever made. To be honest, even if I went permie again in July*, it would have been worth it to pay off the credit card

*Not happening if I can help it!
    Thanks. I have two conflicting schools of thought at the moment... the risk manager in me is tulip scared that for some reason I won't know what to do when I start the job and/or will fail badly in some way.

The realist in me thinks back to all those other times doing perm work that I seemed to eventually be able to cope with any problem that came my way and wondered how some very thick people ended up being my peers

Wondering which of these two outcomes will be the real one... is there an expectation that when you're on a day rate you're infallible?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Good luck - I did the same thing in March. I spent months reading and thinking, but so far it's working out to be one of the best moves I've ever made. To be honest, even if I went permie again in July*, it would have been worth it to pay off the credit card

*Not happening if I can help it!

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Best of luck, and welcome

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    started a topic Jumping ship from the world of permanence

Jumping ship from the world of permanence

Hi forum. Another newbie here - jumping ship from the world of permanent jobs after being made redundant and looking to try something new - well, let's be honest - seeing if I can earn a bit more money while there's change in the air.

Been having a good read recently and picked up a lot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - here goes!

Working...
X